Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

Share |

Attaching Joist to Logs

Do you forsee any issues if I attached the joists (and hangers) directly to exterior house logs?

House is constructed with 8" thick by 6" high pine logs. In the N.C. residential code AM104.1.4, Other Means of Support, it states:

"Joist hangers or other means of attachment may be connected to the house band and shall be properly flashed."

I asked the chief county building inspector if that statement meant I could attach the joists directly to the logs thereby excluding a ledger. He agreed.

This also means that I would not have to drill 5/8" bolt holes through the logs into the interior of the house.

Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Attaching Joist to Logs

I would check with a place that builds log homes in your area. My in-laws have a log home. Their second floor is actually rough sawed timbers, that are around 4x8 I want to say, and they are in a notch on the outside wall, and lay on a huge log for the support beam running the center line of the house. Attachment if I recall, are lag screws to keep the joist timbers from moving.

In your case, whatever would be asthetically(??) pleasing, if leaving open. Otherwise, if finishing I do not see any problems with hangers, as long as you follow proper protocalls, during the building process.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
STAFF

Attaching Joist to Logs

I would say if the logs have shrunk as much as they are going to and each run is supported by the next, (not a log where there is a space with chink) and is straight all the way from one end to the other, there should be no problems. You may have to have something to insure your joists are the same distance from the floor.

The only downside I can see is the code says band, is the inspector considering the log to be the band?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Mod

Attaching Joist to Logs

I wouldn’t attach a hangers to a curved surface. I would bolt a ledger with pvc spacers off the logs then hangers off that.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #5

Attaching Joist to Logs

Do you not have plans for what you're doing? What do they say?

Having built my own log home, I have some understanding of what you're dealing with. But why do you want to do this? Does your house not have a foundation? Or is this the second floor we're talking about? And why would you ever have to drill 5/8 bolt holes. Screwing into the end of joists for support is not an acceptable method in my book. Notching the logs so the joists have something to rest on isn't that difficult - it's what I did.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Mod

Attaching Joist to Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Notching the logs so the joists have something to rest on isn't that difficult - it's what I did.
How would you make that connection code compliant?

What did your plans say?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #7

Attaching Joist to Logs

My second floor joists are 4x10 beams. The plans called for notching the exterior logs enough to insert the joists at least 1-1/2 inches. I went for 2 inches. The joists are secured to the logs with 14-inch Oly screws.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 09-19-2011 at 03:31 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote