Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching Guard posts to deck joists

I am bolting the 4x4s posts to my deck rim joists and plan on blocking it with another 2x8 on the outside. I am going to put siding on the outside of this 2x8 so the fasteners have to be flush. Can I countersynch the holes in the 2X8 so the bolts are flush (needs to be about 1"). Or should I just bolt through the 4x4 see the 2 figures below.

Also I plan on using the simpsons Dtt2z hold downs for the bolts as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching Guard posts to deck joists-bolting-4x4.jpg  

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

If this is an existing deck, the rim joist already in place is the structural member. If you are worried about compromising the strucural integrity if the new outer board; you might, but you shouldn't worry about the overall strength of the deck. If you are worried about having a wobbly handrail, the best you can do is attach a post to the rim without attaching the outer board. Then give it a good shake. If it wobbles more than you would like, then bolt through the outer board, too. I would add blocks in between the new rim, and the old rim. Here's a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching Guard posts to deck joists-untitled.jpg  

CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
dIYHell

thanks, Its a new deck, originally I was just going to bolt the gaurd posts to the rim joist and run decking up to the guardrail. I decided since then to run a border around with my decking material to give it a nicer finish so I need to add this additional rim joist. I was planning on doing the blocking. So should I countersynch the bolts in the 4x4 to allow me to fasten the additional joist to it.
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #4

The more wood bolted together will help stabilize everything. I think bolting through the outer joist would be preferred.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Household Handyman

IF you are planning on using a 2 x 8 on the exterior as in picture #2, one alternative I have used would be to counterbore the exterior 2 x 8 using a Forstner type bit only deep enough for the bolt head and washer to fit into. This will allow you to bolt the 4 x 4 to the inside 2 x 8 securely, then use the exterior 2 x8 to cover the bolts. Use exterior grade screws to secure the exterior 2 x8 to the 4x4's, then use exterior grade screws going through the exterior 2 x8 and the blockers into the interior 2 x 8 board. This makes a very secure structure. Then, IF you still want to place a type of siding on the outside of the exterior 2 x 8 for aesthetic reasons, you may do so. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote