Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attaching a girder

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...10-sept038.jpg

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...10-sept035.jpg

hello all:

I'm replacing my front porch and i was wonering where i should install my girder on these existing pier columns, the porch will be 36 inch above grade.
Now i was just going to attch a 2x12 along the front side of the columns like a wrap and then bolt through the block but that doesn't meet code requirements so if construct some joist hangers from steel and bolt them in along each side of the column and drop a triple 2x8 beam would that meet the requirements

or can i somehow support a triple girder off the inside of the columns using angle iron supporting underneth, i replaced some of the block as you see in the photos and there all filled completely with concrete

my porch is L shaped, along front is 30' by 8' feet depth and side is 16' back by 8'

any suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails
attaching a girder-2010-sept-035.jpg   attaching a girder-2010-sept-036.jpg   attaching a girder-2010-sept-037.jpg  

Last edited by kilby; 09-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.
kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,130

attaching a girder

I presume you know that bolting through the block does not meet code because you talked to the local code enforcement official. I suggest you discuss with the same official what would meet code. As the local enforcement official has final jurisdiction over code in your area, no one on this site can know what would or would not meet code in your area.

If you are planning to use the existing ledger board as part of your project, you may want to discuss that as well with the code official, it is hard to tell from the photo but the ledger looks like it might be compromised.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

attaching a girder

he said i could just brace between each column and set my triple beam or girder in the joist brackets but I'd rather hang it from the back somehow

Ah maybe i'll make some steel brackets out of angle iron and make a u channel and fasten it with shiels into the conrete block, then hang my joist directly from that.

oh the ledger board is not big deal, it'll be replaced
kilby is offline   Reply With Quote