Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching Duct Enclosure to Engineered Joists

Hello, I am new to the forum, have done a few searches for "engineered joists", found some excellent topics, but not what I need now.

I am finishing the basement in the 3-year old house I just bought. I would like to attach the duct enclosure, made of a 2x4 frame and drywall, to the Engineered Floor Joists, which are on 16" centers. I have never had the Engineered Floor Joists (wood I-beams?), have read quite a bit about them, and want to make sure I don't degrade or damage them.

Is it OK to use 3 coarse drywall screws to fasten the enclosure top 2x4s to the engineered I-beams? The screws would penetrate the engineered I-beam bottom flange about 1-. (I suspect that it may not be OK, but I cant come up with another easy way, so I thought I would ask.)

In the sketch below, the webs of the engineered joists actually are quite a bit thinner than depicted.

Thank you for your time and help!
Nando

Nando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

we always screw and nail to the bottom of these floor joists. I can't see that a few screws would downgrade the joists in any way. The inspectors have never said anything about nails or screws into them so I wouldn't worry about it. These floors are usually over engineered in the first place.

the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Carpenter,
Evidently, you are correct.

I received an email from the EWP Products Enginering Manager at Louisiana-Pacific, and he included eight (.pdf) pages of instructions for hanging methods from the I-Joists. The instructions are intended for hanging sprinkler systems, but it certainly gives the overall idea.

Sure enough, two of the methods consist of driving screws into the lower flange, as you suggested would be OK.

Thanks!

Nando
Nando1 is offline   Reply With Quote