Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


So i am planning a new deck right now, I am going to put a ledger again my house and secure it to the rim board. Currently I have a patio out my walkout basement that is a slab. Where the patio is I will need to secure some posts for the deck. Well, I am already commited to breaking up the slab and repouring a new patio... since I want to pour some concrete for steps along side my house with a walkway and matching the 48yo patio will be difficult.

Here is my question... what are my options for footing on the deck posts. I know I can pour footings then pour the patio around the footings, but I am afraid of the builders tubes rotting away then leaving a gap for water to intrude and induce cracking. is the a way to foot the patio itself and then attack the posts to the patio?

I hope all that made sense! :D

DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


No ideas?

DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Where I live, we have to have footings below the frost line, then piers made by using Sono tubes.
If a slab is to be poured and supported on the piers, rebar should be used to tie the slab to the piers. Bent in an L shape.
The posts for the deck are anchored to the slab using Simpson fasteners.

http://www.qualitydist.net/sst-abu66.html
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Where I live, we have to have footings below the frost line, then piers made by using Sono tubes.
If a slab is to be poured and supported on the piers, rebar should be used to tie the slab to the piers. Bent in an L shape.
The posts for the deck are anchored to the slab using Simpson fasteners.

http://www.qualitydist.net/sst-abu66.html
This is exactly what I was needing. Thanks for the information.
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAdams982 For This Useful Post:
Wildie (07-07-2010)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


One thing I have been looking for is the Sonotube with Sonotube base... I assume these are not sold to the a DIYer? Are there any comparables that are sold to a civilian? I have found some brands, but most are sold to only contractors.
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAdams982 View Post
One thing I have been looking for is the Sonotube with Sonotube base... I assume these are not sold to the a DIYer? Are there any comparables that are sold to a civilian? I have found some brands, but most are sold to only contractors.
I've seen these sold at Home Depot. In the same section as the Sono Tubes.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Last question for now... i bought plans from decks.com, but want to alter them to say I will be footing the patio instead of buring footings for the posts. Is there a program you all know about to build 1/4 scale projects? I also want to change the direction of the stairs. Any program you all know about would be greatly appreciated.
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Autocad is used and is very expensive. Has a steep learning curve also.
It would be cheaper to hire someone to lay it out, than to buy this software.
With my job, I was lucky to have a friend do mine!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
Consultant
 
HGRBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle, WA - USA
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Hi DAdams982,

Great....Bust up the slab! Then...maybe not.

Hey man...your patio is your footing: Level off, Pier Block, and Post. Your ledger is your primary stabilizing member. Just be certain all your posts, blocks and braces are in the correct weight-bearing positions. Lag screws and bolts for the posts, though.
HGRBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by HGRBS View Post
Hi DAdams982,

Great....Bust up the slab! Then...maybe not.

Hey man...your patio is your footing: Level off, Pier Block, and Post. Your ledger is your primary stabilizing member. Just be certain all your posts, blocks and braces are in the correct weight-bearing positions. Lag screws and bolts for the posts, though.
The slab does not reach the frost line. I thought I have to dig a footing into the frost line, then I can pour a patio over the top of that footing and attach it, making the patio load bearing. Am I incorrect? Or is there a better way to do it?
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Consultant
 
HGRBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle, WA - USA
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Hi DAdams982,

I guess you know that most concrete patios are 6" - 12" in depth. The only major shifting/heaving I've seen among concrete patios are from earthquakes and tree roots. Not from subterranean ice-layering/heaving.

Depending on where you are, your local authorities determine what your frost lines are; however, they can range from 33" - 5'. Just the same, I don't anticipate any major upsets building the deck on a leveled out and re-surfaced concrete patio.

However, you're the homeowner. I respect your prerogative. Just recommending a bit of time and money savings getting the same quality results.

Conceptually, whether or not your deck stretches beyond the slabs perimeter (assuming it's three sides, now), more than likely you've established its girder/center beam position:

*Now, walking from the very center of your ledger (real or proposed) to the direct center of your proposed deck, mark the ground.
*Going back to the center of the ledger, run a line to the mark at the proposed center of the deck(be certain to have something set up at that marking to tie that line to)
* From that point, continuing the stretch, run another line directly opposite that mark towards the front edge of the center of the proposed deck. Mark the spot.
*Run the line 3-5 feet beyond that point. Mark for batter board.
*Returning to the center of the proposed deck, run one line to the edge of the proposed deck to your right. Mark the spot.
*Run the line 3-5 feet beyond that point. Mark for batter board
*Repeat the process running the line to the edge of the proposed deck to your left.

You should now have from the very center of your proposed deck, lines running straight North, South, East, and West. This is your general outline for the rest of the project. Now, follow those deck building instructions you've been studying. Hopefully, you've got assistants. Pay them by the hour. My recommendation: Between $12.00-$15.00. They should have current references(30 days recent or less).

Whatever post positions there are which aren't at least a foot within the concrete slab, can be considered candidate for a footing at least 24" wide, just sightly less than the full lengths of the proposed deck, and at a frost line depth recommended by your municipality.

Any proposed deck post positions located on the concrete slab more than 12" inside, apparently looks ideal for pier block and saddle.

Your bottom line, I believe, is to build a safe, lasting, useful, effective, strong, sturdy, and attractive deck.......at minimal expense.

Go on. Tear out the entire slab if you like.....and if you can afford it. But, I've got some questions: Whose going to do the demo? How are the chunks going to be loaded? Whose gonna take it? Whose got the CAT/micro-mini bulldozer? Whose pouring the sand / gravel and doing the grading/tamping? Whose doing the re-bar? Since all the concrete for slabs has to be poured all at once within minutes, whose doing it? Is it being poured or pumped? Do the trucks have access? Whose doing the finish work?

The money you spend on all the extras entailed in tearing up the entire slab, could be used towards all your decking needs....lumber, hangers, connectors, ties, adhesives, nuts, bolts, lag screws, deck screws, galvanized ribbed nails, some small tools, and accessories, a few great quality power tools, etc... etc....

That's quite a bit more than we normally offer at once. Hopefully, there's something I've said which is very helpful towards what you choose to accomplish.
HGRBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by HGRBS View Post
Hi DAdams982,

I guess you know that most concrete patios are 6" - 12" in depth. The only major shifting/heaving I've seen among concrete patios are from earthquakes and tree roots. Not from subterranean ice-layering/heaving.

Depending on where you are, your local authorities determine what your frost lines are; however, they can range from 33" - 5'. Just the same, I don't anticipate any major upsets building the deck on a leveled out and re-surfaced concrete patio.

However, you're the homeowner. I respect your prerogative. Just recommending a bit of time and money savings getting the same quality results.

Conceptually, whether or not your deck stretches beyond the slabs perimeter (assuming it's three sides, now), more than likely you've established its girder/center beam position:

*Now, walking from the very center of your ledger (real or proposed) to the direct center of your proposed deck, mark the ground.
*Going back to the center of the ledger, run a line to the mark at the proposed center of the deck(be certain to have something set up at that marking to tie that line to)
* From that point, continuing the stretch, run another line directly opposite that mark towards the front edge of the center of the proposed deck. Mark the spot.
*Run the line 3-5 feet beyond that point. Mark for batter board.
*Returning to the center of the proposed deck, run one line to the edge of the proposed deck to your right. Mark the spot.
*Run the line 3-5 feet beyond that point. Mark for batter board
*Repeat the process running the line to the edge of the proposed deck to your left.

You should now have from the very center of your proposed deck, lines running straight North, South, East, and West. This is your general outline for the rest of the project. Now, follow those deck building instructions you've been studying. Hopefully, you've got assistants. Pay them by the hour. My recommendation: Between $12.00-$15.00. They should have current references(30 days recent or less).

Whatever post positions there are which aren't at least a foot within the concrete slab, can be considered candidate for a footing at least 24" wide, just sightly less than the full lengths of the proposed deck, and at a frost line depth recommended by your municipality.

Any proposed deck post positions located on the concrete slab more than 12" inside, apparently looks ideal for pier block and saddle.

Your bottom line, I believe, is to build a safe, lasting, useful, effective, strong, sturdy, and attractive deck.......at minimal expense.

Go on. Tear out the entire slab if you like.....and if you can afford it. But, I've got some questions: Whose going to do the demo? How are the chunks going to be loaded? Whose gonna take it? Whose got the CAT/micro-mini bulldozer? Whose pouring the sand / gravel and doing the grading/tamping? Whose doing the re-bar? Since all the concrete for slabs has to be poured all at once within minutes, whose doing it? Is it being poured or pumped? Do the trucks have access? Whose doing the finish work?

The money you spend on all the extras entailed in tearing up the entire slab, could be used towards all your decking needs....lumber, hangers, connectors, ties, adhesives, nuts, bolts, lag screws, deck screws, galvanized ribbed nails, some small tools, and accessories, a few great quality power tools, etc... etc....

That's quite a bit more than we normally offer at once. Hopefully, there's something I've said which is very helpful towards what you choose to accomplish.
The concrete work isn't of concern, my brother foremans for a large concrete contractor and has a dump truck and equipment ready for me... I have to pay the gas for the equipment... so it is all manual labor on mine and my brothers part. Of course I have to pay for the concrete, but I was going to be pouring a walkway and steps anyway.

So theoretically, if the cost of the concrete isn't a concern, do you think it is a good idea to proceed the way I was planning?

The frost line is 30 deep, so I was going to auger approx 33 or more, then sonotube it for footings.

So current plan:
Pull patio
Dig footings and pour
pour new patio and walkway
Proceed with new deck.

Your information is much appreciated.
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Attaching a deck to the patio


For my project, putting a roof on a concrete deck, the city building people insisted that i would require footings below the frost level.
The existing foundation was only down 24". It was a continuous, perimeter foundation.
So, wherever a post was to be located, I dug down 48" and under-mined the fouindation and poured a footing. Then, I cut a 12" Sono tube so that half of it was under the foundation and its other half came up to ground level, forming a chute.
I back-filled around the tube to keep it in position and poured the cement.

I mention this, as you could consider doing much the same, and preserve your existing patio.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Staining Nightmare steven994 Painting 6 04-06-2014 09:10 PM
Ideas for deck over concrete patio and beyond-pics- bdobs General DIY Discussions 11 10-22-2010 08:50 AM
Patio Around an Existing Deck tonyg Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 09-10-2009 06:57 PM
Building deck over concrete patio stro77 Building & Construction 8 06-25-2009 04:21 PM
Ideas for deck over concrete patio and beyond-pics- bdobs Building & Construction 6 05-10-2009 08:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.