Attaching Deck To OSB Rim Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching deck to OSB rim joist

We have a 2 year old house that I need to replace the deck because we want a larger on and the current deck was put up by incompetent workers. They attached the ledger board right over the siding and just lagged it to the house. Needless to say it is frustrating.

But my question is, is the house uses engineered floor joists and the rim joist/ banding is 3/4 OSB I am fairly certain and I do not have access the rim joist or floor joists from inside the house since the basement is completely finished.

Would it be ok if I were to use 1/2" x 4" lags to atatch the ledger to the house and just lag through the rim joist.

The ledger is going to be a 2' x 10' x 19' feet so I was thinking of putting 2 lags every foot for a total of almost 40 lags in the ledger.

The deck is about 5' 6" of the ground, would a free standing deck be viable? Only reason I am thinking about a free standing is there is a day light window in the basement under the deck and would prefer not to have a post right in front of it.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Advertisement

Grifftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Check with your local construction official. They're going to be blessing it anyway. There are specially made brackets out there, and there are also bolting schemes, but it's really all going to be up to what the inspectors will pass. It's a free phone call. But I doubt they'd pass lag bolts set in to a 3/4 inch OSB rim joist.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (04-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
Check with your local construction official. They're going to be blessing it anyway. There are specially made brackets out there, and there are also bolting schemes, but it's really all going to be up to what the inspectors will pass. It's a free phone call. But I doubt they'd pass lag bolts set in to a 3/4 inch OSB rim joist.
dont believe the ply will fly
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Forget about attaching the deck to the house. Install a floating deck and eliminate all the issues associated with an attached deck.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,064

Run the plans by the local Inspector, as said. You may need any posts within 5' of the basement to dig as low as the house's footings, but you won't need a post in front of the egress window. Many Counties/Cities have a Building Department web site.

Here is the basic deck that may be safer than your existing: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Be safe, Gary