Attaching Deck Ledger To Cantilever - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


We’re planning to build a deck on the back of my daughter’s house. It will be about 30 feet long, and 20 feet will attach to a 2ft cantilever off the house. Is it normal/ok to attach the deck ledger to the cantilever? We’ve also considered a free standing deck, but are concerned the fill dirt around the house may settle. Any advice is appreciated!

Advertisement

ram80ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


It's definitely a bad idea to install a ledger board against a house section that is cantilevered, especially if you don't plan to support this cantilevered edge by shoring it up. I would recommend a free standing deck.

For new construction, it is generally recommended not to install a deck until 1 year after construction to allow settlement from the dirt used to backfill the foundation. Some jurisdictions even require both a ledger board to be added to the free standing deck.

Are you going to get a permit for this deck? Depth for posts is at least past the frost line, and sometimes deeper (3 ft.) if the county inspector can drive a length of rebar below the frost line.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by ram80ran View Post
We’re planning to build a deck on the back of my daughter’s house. It will be about 30 feet long, and 20 feet will attach to a 2ft cantilever off the house. Is it normal/ok to attach the deck ledger to the cantilever? We’ve also considered a free standing deck, but are concerned the fill dirt around the house may settle. Any advice is appreciated!
That's a large deck. Do all your homework on how to properly support it. As mentioned already, don't attach to the cantilevered portion of your home.

Tip: when using all PT material, I usually encourage the home owner to consider 2x8's on the flat as a railing cap. This allows a large surface area to place food and drinks on when you are entertaining.

Example:

__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 209
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Thanks for that tip. I'm going to rip out the current 2 x4's this weekend.
__________________
It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
beer_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Handyguy
 
Brik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


To the guys that say NO to attaching to the cantilever. Doesn't it depend on how it was built?

If the 2' cant. is scabbed on then I can see why not. If the cant. is a projection of the floor joists and is continuous across the top of the foundation wall, under the house, then it should be fine, no?
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
To the guys that say NO to attaching to the cantilever. Doesn't it depend on how it was built?

If the 2' cant. is scabbed on then I can see why not. If the cant. is a projection of the floor joists and is continuous across the top of the foundation wall, under the house, then it should be fine, no?
Good Question Brick.

Here is a comment off this website regarding the same deck attachment question:

http://www.vadeck.com/page9.htm

Question: "Any problem attaching my deck to a cantilevered (overhang) portion of my house?"
Answer: Don't do it. Most local building codes prevent this practice. The reason is because many folks will attach the deck band to the house band which has only been NAILED into the house joists. Therefore half of the weight of their deck is supported by the shear strength of a few nails! Be safe and run an extra beam under the deck at the area where it attaches to the house. Or, you can remove the existing house band, and run your deck floor joists back until they rest on the house foundation wall. (Always be sure to flash your deck to prevent water from gaining access to your house.) Or, step your deck down and attach the deck band to the house wall (normally concrete).

Same question asked on the ICC bulletin board:

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=10;t=001678
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


You can attach to the cantilever ONLY if it is engineered. In other words if they attached INVERTED hangers to the rimboard so that the weight of the rim (and new deck) are supported by the joists no just the shear of the nails.

BTW MOST cantilevers are NOT engineered because it would cost the builder a few more bucks in hangers.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


I'm doing pretty much the same project, but smaller deck. When you say a free standing deck, should it be completly unattached from the house, or Can I have the deck completely self -supported and still nailed to base of cantilever on house? My plan is to install french doors in the place of the master bedroom window and would rather not jump to the deck
mike6x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Not so new
 
12penny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Posts: 934
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
That's a large deck. Do all your homework on how to properly support it. As mentioned already, don't attach to the cantilevered portion of your home.

Tip: when using all PT material, I usually encourage the home owner to consider 2x8's on the flat as a railing cap. This allows a large surface area to place food and drinks on when you are entertaining.

Example:

Atlantic...I built them like that for a while also. Last year, at final inspection time, one of my decks didnt pass because the handrail on the stairs needs to be "gripable". Idea is that older people and small kids cant grip such a big rail if they begin to fall. I added a seperate rail along side for people to grab onto. Any experience along that line.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6x7 View Post
I'm doing pretty much the same project, but smaller deck. When you say a free standing deck, should it be completly unattached from the house, or Can I have the deck completely self -supported and still nailed to base of cantilever on house? My plan is to install french doors in the place of the master bedroom window and would rather not jump to the deck
Just because it's not attached to the house doesn't mean it's far away from the house. You leave a 1/2" gap between the deck and house and you overhang the decking material so the gap by the house matches the gap in the deck boards.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 398
Rewards Points: 256
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
You can attach to the cantilever ONLY if it is engineered. In other words if they attached INVERTED hangers to the rimboard so that the weight of the rim (and new deck) are supported by the joists no just the shear of the nails.

BTW MOST cantilevers are NOT engineered because it would cost the builder a few more bucks in hangers.
Arrggh - didn't consider this when I built my addition (I really overbuilt the cantilever section of floor, but didn't even consider using inverted hangers before attaching rim board -- going to really feel stupid next time I trip over the bucket full of extra hangers I have from other projects ). Is there a way to address this after the fact (not hangers, but maybe some other metal corner brackets or fasteners inside the joist bays - using the usual hanger nails - to strengthen the connection between the rim plate and the joists)? Wouldn't be the same, but maybe good enough to alleviate the shear stress on the rim plate nails?
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Home Imp./Remodeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: N. Central CT
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Atlantic...I built them like that for a while also. Last year, at final inspection time, one of my decks didnt pass because the handrail on the stairs needs to be "gripable". Idea is that older people and small kids cant grip such a big rail if they begin to fall. I added a seperate rail along side for people to grab onto. Any experience along that line.
I ran into that same issue here. I had used 2x4s for the railing tops on the stairs of a deck I built and the inspector wouldn't issue a CO until I added a handrail on at least one side.
Dan V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,977
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


I'm sure Atlantic's other handrail had a grip-able one. This code has been in effect since at least since '73, when I started building decks.

More: http://www.stairways.org/pdf/Underst...aspability.pdf

And yet: http://www.ci.wausau.wi.us/is/win/pdf/rdc_info.pdf

Finally: http://www.stairways.org/codes_standards.htm Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching deck ledger to cantilever


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
Arrggh - didn't consider this when I built my addition (I really overbuilt the cantilever section of floor, but didn't even consider using inverted hangers before attaching rim board -- going to really feel stupid next time I trip over the bucket full of extra hangers I have from other projects ). Is there a way to address this after the fact (not hangers, but maybe some other metal corner brackets or fasteners inside the joist bays - using the usual hanger nails - to strengthen the connection between the rim plate and the joists)? Wouldn't be the same, but maybe good enough to alleviate the shear stress on the rim plate nails?
Support the cantilever from below using sonotubes and support framing.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What size deck is 'good' for our situation? curls00 Carpentry 20 09-08-2007 08:12 PM
Deck ledger/carriage bolt question colaminecanary Building & Construction 9 07-31-2007 08:16 AM
Installing deck ledger board over foam board? RickT Building & Construction 5 11-06-2006 11:50 PM
need help with deck ledger weekender Carpentry 3 10-02-2005 11:32 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts