Attaching Deck To Home - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Question

Attaching Deck to Home

I am planning the construction of a large deck. The deck will be attached to my home that has brick exterior. The home has sheathing over studs behind the brick. I know there are several ways to attach a deck but what is the strongest practical way in my situation?
Attach to the brick?

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Contractor - Renovations

Attaching Deck to Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I am planning the construction of a large deck. The deck will be attached to my home that has brick exterior. The home has sheathing over studs behind the brick. I know there are several ways to attach a deck but what is the strongest practical way in my situation?
Attach to the brick?
Brick veneer is not structural, so no.

I build a lot of decks and have never had to attach to a house that has brick veneer (it's very rare in my area for a home to have masonry veneer on the back of the house), so someone else that has dealt with it may chime in here.

Otherwise, I would build the deck "freestanding" that is probably the easiest solution, anyway.

How high off the ground is it, and what are the dimensions?

Advertisement

Last edited by fungku; 02-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fungku For This Useful Post:
Giles (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 178

Attaching Deck to Home

free standing. In my area codes does not allow you to attach to brick veneer. Not only can the deck fail because veneer is not structrual but when it does fail it will pull the brick off the house with it. I know someone is going to come in and say it is ok to attach to brick veneer and tell you to use lag bolts or some kind of bolt and as long as you go into the rim joist it is ok but DON'T LISTEN TO THEM because behind the brick there is air space. so between the brick and air space there is about 5 inches of bolt (floating) and therefore the deck ends up resting on the brick anyhow
bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attaching Deck to Home

No can do, Fig. 17; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Gary
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Attaching Deck to Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
No can do, Fig. 17; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Gary
THANKS---Thats just what I was trying to find--Very informative!
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attaching Deck to Home

You're welcome! Here is the 2009 update for that 2006 Deck Code; http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/...eckarticle.pdf

Gary

Advertisement