Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching a carport to vinyl siding - flashing?

I am looking into covering a concrete pad to make a carport on the side of my house. The carport will be relatively easy, however I'm not sure of the best way to attach it to the side of my house. It will be attaching to the side of my 2 story house that has board and batten vinyl siding. Is there a way to flash to vinyl siding, or would I have to remove the siding, put the flashing up then "J" channel around it? Most of my concrete slab is already poured (25x25), and it is poured all the way to my foundation (just 2 blocks high). So I have also thought about building my carport so is off of my house by maybe 6" to 1', which would allow the over hangs to overlap and may not look stupid with my slab extending just a little beyond my roof and just making a short 4' wide connector, to attached the carport to the house. I have attached a quick sketch, please give me some ideas.

hosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Are those red lines the roof line of the house?
If so all the water running off of that roof will cause issues if you try and connect the carport to the house.
Is this going to be a stick built carport or one of those store bought metal ones?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Yes the red lines are shown to indicate a hip roof on that end of the house. It will be a stick built carport, or I may possibly build some metal trusses, but either way not store bought. The width of the house on that end is 14.5', and there will be some water coming off that end of the house dropping onto the carport.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,020

Only good way I can see from your drawings is to change that hip roof to a gable roof and have it meet the siding on the carport. Then you could use step flashing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

I must not have been clear, the roof on the carport will be gable, the roof on the house is a hip roof. If I use step flashing would I have to remove my existing siding and put it under, then reinstall the siding, or is there a way to seal it to the outside of the siding. Also if I do seal anything to the outside of the siding, how would I account for the thermal expansion?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

[QUOTE=hosscat;1084611] If I use step flashing would I have to remove my existing siding and put it under, then reinstall the siding,/QUOTE]

That is the only correct way to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Ok, so I am assuming that there is nothing that would seal to the outside of my siding which I kinda expected but wanted to ask. So if I persue the step flashing route, I would be better off building the carport detached and only attaching a small connector from the house to the carport. Do I need to cut the house wrap and put the flashing on the inside of that as well. The house is only 6 or 7 months old and I don't want to mess with more than I have to.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosscat View Post
I would be better off building the carport detached and only attaching a small connector from the house to the carport.
Only if you don't mind it raining between the house and the carport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosscat View Post
Do I need to cut the house wrap and put the flashing on the inside of that as well.
You are correct.

Just remove all of the siding that's in the way of the carport, build it, roof it, then re-install the siding (you'll need some more J-channel). You'll have to carefully cut the corner post in place. be sure to install a kick out flashing when you begin the step flashing to divert water away from the house.

One other thing…In your first picture you show the ridge terminating into the corner of that window. That’s always a bad detail, avoid it if you can.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 01-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #9

I am fine with rain coming down between the house and the carport as long as I have a covered area to get inside. I will probably stick with the small connector, since we just finished building the house I don't want to mess with the siding any more than needed. Also top "peak" of the carport roof only appears to be at the corner of the window due to the scale, I have it figured to be about 8" away from the corner and 2" lower than the window corner. Which these sketches reflect a 3 car carport, but once I got my plans built enough to get a bill of materials, I may back up and build a 2 car carport with just extra concrete parking area which would change the location of the peak.

Thanks for the help.