Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching bottom plate to subfloor

Hey folks. I just stumbled on something I haven't thought of yet. I am building a room in my attic. On one wall there is no floor joist under where the wall will be. Do I just nail the bottom plate into the subfloor? Thanks for your time!

bduncan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

I assume its too late to put blocking between joists to be able to nail bottom plate to

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #3

Unfortunately yes. The subfloor was already down when I bought the house. Essentially what I'm doing is framing 4 walls on an existing sub floor in a large space.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Not structural u will be fine if u r worried about moving just put little bit of glue under but not necessary
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Do the walls tie to the rafters?

Gary
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

placing any type of wall between joists and onto sub flooring only is asking for a sagged floor under the wall in the future. how tall the wall is and how thick the sub flooring will determine the rate of sag. subflooring can be cut and removed to allow access for blocking and then the subfloor can be put back down
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18

since the sub-floor's nailed to the floor joists, i wouldn't worry,,, just did a room over the garage which was about the same,,, 4' kneewall & i screw'd the short vert 2x4 studs into the side of the roof trusses,,, finished off great & have no fat friends under 4'' tall so no problemo

use long drywall screws &, if you want overkill, some const adhesive under the plate ( i didn't )
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

I would use construction screws, not drywall screws.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

uncertain what ' construction screws ' are but i use what on the shelf then again, never said i was a carpenter another advantage of being raised on a farm - baling wire & chewing gum now updated to version 2.0 - duck tape
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 80

Sheetrock screws are to brittle for framing, infact no scews should be used in any framing, only nails.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #11

just to hold a btm plate ? c'mon, joe - i wanted to finish this part w/o having to run to the nearest apron/vest store,,,,,, scheeeeschhh,there's lateral force on this sole plate,,, IF it makes you feel better, i used lead-shield drop-in's for btm plate on the bsmt exercise room's wall,,, i can see you never had to finish anything w/my bride, nagzilla, hanging over your shoulder

i'm not taking any more abuse today !
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
just to hold a btm plate ? c'mon, joe - i wanted to finish this part w/o having to run to the nearest apron/vest store,,,,,, scheeeeschhh,there's lateral force on this sole plate,,, IF it makes you feel better, i used lead-shield drop-in's for btm plate on the bsmt exercise room's wall,,, i can see you never had to finish anything w/my bride, nagzilla, hanging over your shoulder

i'm not taking any more abuse today !

at the orange big box store spax has some construction screws made that work like cabinet screws with shear strength. an exterior decking screw will also work sometimes for framing applications but will still snap if sheared... can't beat the good old hand driven nail in certain apps, and even nail guns if you got em...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

Gary,
The walls do not tie into anything up there. They will be 4 independent walls (with a ceiling of course). The rafters are above where the room will be. The subfloor itself is 3/4" T&G that is glued and nailed. I will be screwing it down before the carpet goes down.

Where u see the bottom plate on the right of this picture is where the wall will be going. It is 3 1/2'' off the exterior wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching bottom plate to subfloor-1st-wall.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Not A Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
placing any type of wall between joists and onto sub flooring only is asking for a sagged floor under the wall in the future. how tall the wall is and how thick the sub flooring will determine the rate of sag. subflooring can be cut and removed to allow access for blocking and then the subfloor can be put back down
I would go with this advice ... and 16D nails which is probably what you used to build the stud wall.

I myself and quite familiar with the bailing wire method we have here down South, grew up in rural areas myself, but if you ever want to sell that house without having to tear out those rooms, I would make sure you do it to code. I think each space in an unfinished basement needs at least 1 electrical outlet, I would research that and to make sure something similar doesn't apply to unfinished rooms in an attic.
kevinb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

The room is definitely going to be up to code. I pulled permits and it will be inspected. Unfortunately the code doesn't specify this situation. I can put 300+ pounds on the floor and jump and down and the floor is solid.