Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching Blocks to Concrete, then wall to that

Ok, so I am having a few issues in my garage, the biggest of which is water coming in from the rear of the structure. The garage sits very low on the property, and it is fairly level, but the slight slope goes straight to the corner of the garage. When we get a decent raint, i get water in the garage.

What I would like to do is to support the garage walls, cut the bottom part out, and replace it with some concrete block, either 4 or 8" tall, which will give me the height i need to keep the water out.

My question is, how would I go about attaching it to my slab to make it water-proof? Do i just use regular morter or is there a special bonding agent? Will I need to drill into the concrete and fill the spaces with concrete? This will only be one course of block and a new sill plate for the garage.

Thanks.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Is the garage wall curently bolted down/secured to the cement pad ?
Where is the water coming in ?
Between sill plate & floor ?
You would need to dig down & seal the new block to the pad/foundation
Might be better/easier to dig down & put a drain system in that directs water away

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #3

The garage may be secured to the pad, but I don't see any bolts coming through along much of it. The water comes from between the pad and the sill. The ground outside is about 1-2" over the top in area. The ground is really level, so doing much drainage isn't really going to work, plus part of the area is paved, so I couldn't get under that.

I can get better pictures of the area later today.

This is the back of the garage (mine is the left, neighbor's is right):

And this is it in relation to the house. about 3 ft in front of the fence and 20' behind it is paved.

The water enters mostly from around that back corner by the gate in the first picture and the side door in the second.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

how do I put one row of block on my cement slab so I can put my garage together just bought the place and it had the cement down and just bought a 30 x 30 garage and it has a row of block with it but never cemented blocks before don't no were to start someone help please
halflump1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 108

Halfump1971 Please go back and add your own post under concrete and masonry.