Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


I recently bought a 40-in. flat screen TV, only to find I have metal studs spaced 24-inches apart in my wall. The TV itself only weighs about 29 lbs. (the wall mount about 3-4 lbs.), but am unsure whether it is a smart idea to bolt the mount into the metal studs. It's an interior wall and the studs look lightweight, but I'm thinking if a use a two toggle bolts in each stud that should do the trick. Has anybody done this or think it's a bad idea?

billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Toggle bolts work perfectly with metal studs, even when they're light gauge.

I would use a 5/8" holesaw (3/4" will work too, but I like keeping the hole as small as possible) to drill thru the drywall and metal stud in one clean shot. Lay it out so that you drill right thru the middle of the stud. Now use 1/4"-20 toggle bolts or Togglers, (2) per stud as you mentioned.

I do this often in commercial applications in which metal studs are almost always used. Toggle bolts used in drywall are limited by the weight that it would take to pull the butterfly thru the drywall. But when you drill thru a metal stud, you now have a nice big 8 foot long stud to use as a washer. It makes for a very strong installation.


Last edited by VersaBar; 12-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Thanks "Versabar". A few people have told me that with just 30 lbs. of so of weight, using just the drywall with toggles would work. But honestly, I'd feel more secure all around going through the metal studs. I just didn't want to weaken the studs any. And frankly, the fact that the wall mount install guide didn't even mention metal studs (it only gave install instructions for wood studs and concrete walls) it made me hesitate. Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot.
billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
Thanks "Versabar". A few people have told me that with just 30 lbs. of so of weight, using just the drywall with toggles would work.
I agree, I think it would work just fine, but you have a better option.
Quote:
I just didn't want to weaken the studs any.
That's why I recommend making as small a hole as possible (5/8" works with 1/4"-20 toggles) and hitting the direct center of the stud.

Good luck!
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 54
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


I think I would make a mounting plate and screw/toggle it to the wall, then mount my bracket to it.
NASCAR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
I think I would make a mounting plate and screw/toggle it to the wall, then mount my bracket to it.
What would be the purpose of using a mounting plate?
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 54
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


The mounting plate would distribute the load across a greater area. I read 'metal studs spaced 24-inches apart', this does not seem too strong to me. The mounting plate would need to span two of the studs. The plate could be 3/4 ply. If it was me, this is what I would do.
NASCAR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
The mounting plate would distribute the load across a greater area. I read 'metal studs spaced 24-inches apart', this does not seem too strong to me. The mounting plate would need to span two of the studs. The plate could be 3/4 ply. If it was me, this is what I would do.
His wall mount is going to span multiple studs, as he mentioned in the first post. An additional mounting plate will be nothing more than an eyesore.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Nascar9,

What trailer park do you live in? Seriously, what you are describing will hold, but it will be very ugly.

Here's how I would do it.

First, take a sledge hammer and open up the wall. Be careful not to bend the metal studs. Then anchor a solid plate of 3/4 plywood between the two studs. While you're there run electrical, TV cables, speaker wires. Put conduit in, and J-Boxes. Hide everything inside the walls.

Then replace the drywall, and mount your TV bracket anywhere you want to the plywood backer. The entire wall will have to come down before the TV pull off the wall.

Sure it's going to take more time, but do it right the first time. If your lag screws miss the metal studs and pull out, you're buying a new TV.

DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Nascar9,

What trailer park do you live in? Seriously, what you are describing will hold, but it will be very ugly.
This is very rude for your first post.
Quote:
Here's how I would do it.

First, take a sledge hammer and open up the wall.
Who would use a sledge hammer to open up a wall like this?
Quote:
Be careful not to bend the metal studs. Then anchor a solid plate of 3/4 plywood between the two studs. While you're there run electrical, TV cables, speaker wires. Put conduit in, and J-Boxes. Hide everything inside the walls.

Then replace the drywall, and mount your TV bracket anywhere you want to the plywood backer. The entire wall will have to come down before the TV pull off the wall.

Sure it's going to take more time, but do it right the first time. If your lag screws miss the metal studs and pull out, you're buying a new TV.

Why would he do it like this? For what purpose?
Why would you recommend him use lag screws in metal studs?
Why would anyone expect someone to miss the stud? It is incredible easy to drill the drywall and see the metal stud to ensure you are drilling into it. A little bit of effort beforehand to mark the studs out is all it takes, a magnet comes in handy. MUCH easier than using a sledge hammer...
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


VersaBar,

Sorry to upset you. I just gave my opinion.

I ment toggle bolts, when I mentioned Lag bolts, again...sorry.

I sugested a sledge hammer because I didn't know if it was a plaster wall or drywall. I don't care how he opens up the wall. But I would put a sheet of plywood behind the drywall.

If you put a sheet of plywood attached to the studs, then cover it with drywall, you can now attach the mounting bracket to the plywood plate. This is a very strong hold. Sure, it's alot more work than your way. But it will hold this TV or any other TV he might buy in the future.

If you want to take the easy way out, why not just get some of that UGlu they are advetising on TV. It's industrial strength and will hold permanantly. I'm not sugesting this, I don't think it's strong enough. But it would be alot easier than my way or yours for that matter.
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
VersaBar,

Sorry to upset you. I just gave my opinion.
You didn't upset me, you just came off as a rude *#$#*@ when you insulted another member on your first post like you did.
Quote:
I ment toggle bolts, when I mentioned Lag bolts, again...sorry.

I sugested a sledge hammer because I didn't know if it was a plaster wall or drywall. I don't care how he opens up the wall. But I would put a sheet of plywood behind the drywall.

If you put a sheet of plywood attached to the studs, then cover it with drywall, you can now attach the mounting bracket to the plywood plate. This is a very strong hold. Sure, it's alot more work than your way. But it will hold this TV or any other TV he might buy in the future.

If you want to take the easy way out, why not just get some of that UGlu they are advetising on TV. It's industrial strength and will hold permanantly. I'm not sugesting this, I don't think it's strong enough. But it would be alot easier than my way or yours for that matter.
Sure, your way might be stronger, but for his size TV it's completely unnecessary, IMO.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


OK, here's my two cents. I think Nascar9 had a good idea, because the tv bracket itself will have something more solid to grip and the additional metal plate will allow more area to attach sheet metal screws to the studs (I'd use sheet metal screws, plenty of grip and strength there.
DozerDan (sounds like BULLdozer Dan!) you can only install 3/4" plywood BETWEEN the studs, not OVER them if you plan to replace the drywall. It's also overkill.
I also agree with Versbar about your opening comments. People need to feel comfortable asking questions on here. I'm a contractor, and even I ask advice sometimes.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
attach sheet metal screws to the studs (I'd use sheet metal screws, plenty of grip and strength there.
I have to completely disagree with that.

The TV bracket mount is a thick, solid sheet of steel. Putting another piece of steel behind it will not make any realistic difference. But installing it with sheet metal screws WILL make it weaker than using toggles, especially if the studs are light gauge like the OP mentioned.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Attaching 40-in. flat TV to metal studs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaBar View Post
I have to completely disagree with that.

The TV bracket mount is a thick, solid sheet of steel. Putting another piece of steel behind it will not make any realistic difference. But installing it with sheet metal screws WILL make it weaker than using toggles, especially if the studs are light gauge like the OP mentioned.
The force on the bracket is shear. The metal plate would be thicker than the stud gauge, and the weight would be distributed by the number of screws going thru the plate. Absolutely no problem!

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat screen, metal studs, tvs, wall mount


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attaching a worksurface directly to studs in of a basement wall BasementVirgin Building & Construction 3 10-06-2010 01:04 PM
Securing 8/3 cable, are flat metal staples acceptable? Mi Feller Electrical 2 07-02-2010 06:36 AM
Hang shelves/closet house with metal studs Italgrl Carpentry 5 01-24-2010 05:21 PM
attaching corner bead to metal studs ar2736 Building & Construction 2 10-28-2008 12:32 PM
Maxx Shower Walls Install on Metal Studs? atilla137 Plumbing 2 11-21-2006 07:17 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.