Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Share |

Attaching 2x14 LVL Ledger

I am currently adding a "garage loft" to my um... garage. It will serve as a bedroom and have a storage area. The garage has a 20' ceiling so 9'ish foot ceilings in the garage and loft once complete. Garage is 20x14.

Garage is balloon framed with 2x6 studs so I am running 2x14x20 LVL as a ledger along the side walls and using 14" deep Nordic Lam Ni-40x I joists to span the 17' of the garage using Simpson top mount hangers.

Looking for advice on what fastener to use and how many per stud to mount the LVL ledger to the studs. Was thinking the Simpson SDS screws, similar to ledgerlok. Specs called for 1/2" lags but I understand these self tapping screws are even stronger.

What else am I missing?

Cheers

Thanks
ycharland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You should be asking the guy that designed the job this .

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

exactly,, you should use hand spikes to tack the ledger to the studs first so you dont have to hold it up while drilling for the lag bolts

with a larger bolt i wouldnt trust a self tapper... you'll be driving them into the 1 1/2" portion of the studs.. without pre drilling your risking the studs splitting which will nullify any holding power
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Job starts tomorrow so I would just like some last minute confirmation from gents who have done stuff like this before, sometimes engineers don't think outside the box and ignore more innovative products like ledgerlok for traditional perhaps substandard methods like lags. I am definitely planning on using a framing nailer to tack the LVL's in place then I guess drill and lag. Drilling makes sense to not split the studs, would it be better to drill holes and use the stronger SDS screws or go with 1/2" lags? From experience.

thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Lags have been proven over the years, I am not saying that they are better than the ledger-locks but you still need to run any changes by the engineer first, that is what you paid him for.

Did you get a licensed engineer? Is he an SE or PE by chance?

I am skeptical, about an engineer that would specify 14" I-joist for a 14' span. It sounds more like a homeowner-overkill-design situation to me.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycharland View Post
Job starts tomorrow so I would just like some last minute confirmation from gents who have done stuff like this before, sometimes engineers don't think outside the box and ignore more innovative products like ledgerlok for traditional perhaps substandard methods like lags. I am definitely planning on using a framing nailer to tack the LVL's in place then I guess drill and lag. Drilling makes sense to not split the studs, would it be better to drill holes and use the stronger SDS screws or go with 1/2" lags? From experience.

thanks
What did your plans say that you presented to the building department? You will need permits and inspections for this anyway.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

It's an 18' span and that I joist is rated at just over 19' at 16" o.c. so he left a little buffer. My neighbor has the exact same set up and used a different engineer, they also used two lags per stud with 14" deep I joists at 16".
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

if this is being inspected the inspector will say something if you dont use teh exact same fastener as spec'd by the engineer in the drawing.. the engineer will have to ok and re do the drawing showing ledger locks. which will more than likely cost you even more $$

stick with the proven lags, and dont P%#S off our engineer
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

ycharland, If you want to use Simpson SDS screws or ledgerlok screws, get in contact with them. I needed to prove to my city (LA County) that the legerlok bolts have bettter shear and holding power than a 1/2 lag. The city enigneer ask for a certain report(I can't remember the name) and Ledgerloc supplied the needed documentation, I was approved.

I was able to replace one for one 1/2 lag for Ledgerloc.

Hope this helps.
NASCAR9 is offline   Reply With Quote