Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Attached Pergola

I am contemplating building an elevated freestanding deck with a pergola attached to the house. I have a couple of questions.

First, are there any issues with the desk being freestanding and the pergola being attached?

Second, any suggestions on how to attach the pergola rafters to the ledger without using joist hangers? They're not all together attractive and they'd be VERY visible on the pergola. What do you guys do?

Thanks!

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attached Pergola

How you build this would be locally Building Code dictated. You should speak to the Building Dept in your area as they would guide you through alternatives to the joist hangers if there are any.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Attached Pergola

Ron-

Thanks for your input. I am actually working with an architect (this is a small part of a much larger project), and the everything will be permitted. I was just soliciting input on what others have done to avoid visible joist hangers.

That said, anyone have any thoughts? How do you build a pergola without visible joist hangers?
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Structural Engineer

Rewards Points: 75

Attached Pergola

You can thicken the lower half of the ledge (may need to make it slightly deeper also) and notch the pergola joists so that they sit on top. If you do this I would recommend making the joist slightly deeper also.

Chances are that your architect will select a joist deep for visual appearance that is deeper than what is required to prevent the joist from splitting at the notch.
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attached Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
Ron-

Thanks for your input. I am actually working with an architect (this is a small part of a much larger project), and the everything will be permitted. I was just soliciting input on what others have done to avoid visible joist hangers.

That said, anyone have any thoughts? How do you build a pergola without visible joist hangers?
What others have done, does not address what your region allows. The architect should be able to give you all the options allowable for your locale.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Attached Pergola

We just finished building our own attached pergola - it was relatively easy and only cost around $150... We chronicled the project on our blog - check it out! You can also email us for more specific advice - email link is on the blog!

Happy Building!

evilonion is offline   Reply With Quote