Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attached garage with a government loan inspection to sell your home

is there a code in WV that says you have to have a fireproof ceiling in your attached garage?

brendastout1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendastout1948 View Post
is there a code in wv that says you have to have a fireproof ceiling in your attached garage?
my home is on the market and was inspected,and the inspector said it needed fireproofed,is there a manditory code to do this

brendastout1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

I believe that any house with an attached garage must have a 1 hour wall between the garage and house.

So, if you don't have a 1 hour wall that goes all the way up to the roof, then your garage ceiling would need to be of 1 hour construction.

Typically, a 1 hour wall is one made with 5/8" Type X drywall.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendastout1948 View Post
is there a code in WV that says you have to have a fireproof ceiling in your attached garage?
Call your permit department and ask them. But even if there's no code requirement, Government lenders like VA and FHA have their own requirements.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 11-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

You're not required to have your house up to current codes in order to sell it. But the buyer could use lack thereof as a bargaining chip. If the buyer's mortgage underwriter requires something in particular, that's their problem not yours -- unless you can't afford to let the buyer walk.
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,022

I do not know what your building code is in West Virginia.

according to the 2009 International Residential Code there are separation requirements between a garage and dwelling, including between the garage and living space above. to see the actual requirements use this link.

if no living space above the garage then the garage ceiling is not required to provide fire resistance. the wall between the garage attic and the dwelling is however required to provide resistance.

insurance companies, and lenders are allowed to require more than the building code requires. An existing dwelling in most cases does not have to meet current code requirements.

A lender or insurance company are not required to provide service so if they want more than you are required to provide by code you either provide it or they will not provide service.

hope this helps.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote