Asphalt Slurry Sealcoat - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

asphalt slurry sealcoat

Our driveway needs to be sealed as soon as it warms up a little. I'm not familiar with the different options, so I was hoping someone here could clear it up. We have the beginnings of some alligator cracking--it is not severe yet or even broken all the way through the asphalt. I know that bad alligator cracks have to be patched over. The contractor we are planning to go with recommended doing a slurry sealant. He said it was better than just regular sealcoating. The slurry is the sealant mixed with sand and then applied to the concrete. Anyone have any experience with this?

Advertisement

ellie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

asphalt slurry sealcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie09 View Post
Our driveway needs to be sealed as soon as it warms up a little. I'm not familiar with the different options, so I was hoping someone here could clear it up. We have the beginnings of some alligator cracking--it is not severe yet or even broken all the way through the asphalt. I know that bad alligator cracks have to be patched over. The contractor we are planning to go with recommended doing a slurry sealant. He said it was better than just regular sealcoating. The slurry is the sealant mixed with sand and then applied to the concrete. Anyone have any experience with this?
The cracking should be addressed before the coating goes on. It should be something that expands and contracts. They sell a caulking tube product for this. If you have a very worn driveway, the slurry would be the product to use. If not, a regular coating would do the job.
Ron

Advertisement

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-19-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,464

asphalt slurry sealcoat

you describe an asphalt driveway then call it concrete at the end - which is it, blacktop OR conc ? ? ?

slurry-seal's a trade name for asphalt emulsion, cement, fine aggregate & water,,, i'm sure he means a product of that type as the truck needed to mix & apply the product has 10wheels & weighs about the same as a conc transit mix trk when loaded caulking tube products're for wanna-be-contractor homeowners,,, IF you have a very worn driveway in which the aggregate's showing AND its not alligator'd too badly, crack'd, heaved, & shoved, slurry's a good product,,, however, its overkill for driveways.

if the base's bad, cut & replace the patch then sealcoat w/tar-based asphalt sealer.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote