DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Asphalt shingle siding over cedar shakes

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a fixer-upper that needs a great deal of exterior work, and I'm looking for some advice. Here's the deal:

- Front (east) is cedar shake siding painted. Looks good.
- North is cedar shake siding, paint is peeling off in large fist-sized patches - we occasionally find strips on the ground after a moderate wind.
- South is cedar shake siding, unpainted. Was previously covered with asphalt shingle siding... previous owner removed asphalt but that's it - nails and bits of felt still stuck to house in spots.
- West still has the asphalt shingles over cedar shakes.

Basically, husband and wife divorced... agreed to split the cost of redoing the exterior before selling... he held up his end of the bargain and took care of the north and east sides, she gave up partway through. Several owners since, who did nothing.

So, here's my question - assuming I want to keep the cedar shake siding, should I finish removing the asphalt shingles and then prime/paint the unpainted sides (and scrape/sand/prime/paint the peeling side)? There are a number of split shakes, but it seems repairable. What about the holes left from the nails that were used to hold the asphalt shingling?

Can't afford to completely reside while also tackling a new kitchen and bath, so I'm trying to determine the best mid-term solution to hold me over 5-10 years.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a doable project. Strip the asphalt. Strip the paint. Replace the damaged cedar. Fill the nail holes. Prime and paint.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.