Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Asphalt repair

I hope this is the right forum for this question - We live on a private road that is shared with eight homes. We are responsible for the upkeep of the road. Our road is asphalt, 4" thick. There are some cracks developing in the asphalt that I want to fix before they expand. Here is my plan: clean out debris in crack with wire brush/compressed air - place sand in cracks that are deep (over 1/4"?) - heat repair goop until it flows smoothly - pour into the crack. Does this sound like a proper repair? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Asphalt repair

Quote:
place sand in cracks that are deep (over 1/4"?) - heat repair goop until it flows smoothly - pour into the crack.
Ayuh,... Donno just what you're calling "Goop", but...
The sand goes over top of the sealing tar, not under it....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Asphalt repair

Sorry, I was at loss for the proper term How much sand would you place on top of the sealing tar? Thanks
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Asphalt repair

you've got the right idea but you'll be cracksealing, not repairing,,, what you describe is commonly known as ' glow 'n' seal ' 'cept you're including wirebrushing prior to the blow if the cracks're only 1/2", nothing's needed,,, over 1", fill w/vermiculite/sand 50/50 mix UNLESS you want the real stuff which is a hot-pour backer rod,,, in your sit, i wouldn't.

the hot repair ' goop ' should be astm d1190 material which can be heated & applied in a direct fire melter then installed w/wheeled ' overbander ' e never ' salted ' the work as we had the lane closed

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
Jack E (03-15-2011)