Asphalt Patch/fill/seal With Concrete Involved - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Asphalt patch/fill/seal with concrete involved

Question pertains to repairing open areas and cracks (and then applying sealant) on an asphalt driveway lined along some areas by concrete.

In addition to cracks, there are “chunks” that have come off the driveway along a section that was dug out a year ago (thereby disturbing the soil that had otherwise reinforced the edge of the driveway). I am in the midst of lining that section of the driveway with Belgian blocks set in concrete. I have done likewise along other sections of the driveway for aesthetic purposes (in this case, though, the purpose is both aesthetic and functional, so as to reinforce against the further outward migration/cracking of the asphalt). In those other areas I had brought the level of the concrete up flush with the edge of the driveway, creating an edge between the asphalt and the Belgian blocks approximately 1” wide. In the current case I have left the top level of the concrete approximately 1.5-2” below the surface of the asphalt. I want to then fill in these gaps with cold-patch for both a better appearance and more appropriate “bond” with the existing asphalt.

I am uncertain if this will succeed and would appreciate input as to whether I should apply cold patch directly or apply some sort of “primer” first. I have read about use of “emulsified liquid asphalt” as an initial coating for better adhesion of cold patch to existing asphalt but a) I don’t know if that would be appropriate here (i.e., asphalt-over-concrete) and b) I cannot locate the stuff at any locale home store. I thought of using a coat of driveway sealant first but have elsewhere read that one should not apply driveway sealer to concrete/cement.

So my questions are: will using cold patch in the manner I’ve described work at all? Do I apply the sealant as a primer first? And, with regard to the areas where the concrete is now parallel with the surface of the driveway, could I apply sealant over these areas (again for aesthetic purposes)? In all cases, the areas in question are along the edge of the driveway and so in general are not subject to heavy vehicle traffic over the immediate surface.

Advertisement

brokenknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Asphalt patch/fill/seal with concrete involved

Hi ,
Emulsified liquid asphalt is better option for your problem.

Advertisement

Last edited by DangerMouse; 12-07-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Links removed
Gloriaray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asphalt , cold patch , driveway , driveway sealant , driveway sealer