Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Asbestos wrapped heat ducts

what can I do about asbestos wrapped ducts that is cracking? Is it safe to leave it alone?

marycaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Is it cracking because it is getting knocked into?

Has your HVAC system changed at all over the years - did anyone open it up or add/remove any lines?

There is a product called "encapsulant", it's kind of like watery elmers white glue. It gets sprayed on asbestos covered things, and it seals in the asbestos so it doesn't flake away. I'd suggest that AS LONG AS no one has made any changes to the system.

At my house, they did make changes, some of which included slipping the insulation inside the air channels

xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

It is my understanding that if you don't touch the asbestos you are safe. You do not want to get any fibers in the air that you or your loved ones can inhale.
Ted da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

If it's cracking, it's already been touched. Now the question is what to do.

BTW, the original poster should fill in the profile so we know where they are located!
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Some of my ductwork that was running through my garage was covered with asbestos insulation when I moved in. I sprayed it down with soapy water to keep any of it from flaking away while I covered it with new duct insulation. I also wore a dust mask of course.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Honestly you have a situation. The only way to confirm the contaminent in the house is to have it tested. Thats also very expensive. Do not I repeat do not attempt this at home. They way to do this properly is professionally and there is very strict proceedures on removal.

Imagine a bio lab leaking a hazardous substance. Remember someone dying in that lab. Remember those hazmat people. Sanitation doors and decontamination units. Not to scare you but thats typically how hazardous substances are removed. DO NOT TRY IT.

Your life is more important to me personally, is it an expense yes but don't think for a second this is as easy as putting on a mask.

FYI stay clear of this DIY

Just a thought

Bldg 2 Spec is offline   Reply With Quote