Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos Shingles

Our garage has these on them and we would like to replace them and get vinyl siding. We received instructions from a contractor on the proper way to remove them, but he wasn't positive on how to properly and safely store and seal them for disposal. Anyone know where to check to find out my ordinance's requirements?

jkrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #2

Asbestos Shingles

Around here they require a heavy mill bag that is sealed tight and sent to the proper location.
Check with your local building office.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #3

Asbestos Shingles

thanks
jkrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
General Contractor

Asbestos Shingles

And confirm they are indeed asbestos before going to the expense....there are look alikes from the same era that were not asbestos based. We did an old house that was cement board...the HO's took a piece of the broken siding in and it proved to be non asbestos.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #5

Asbestos Shingles

get all the info on all types of shingles

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed
shopjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
keep me busy

Asbestos Shingles

Bag should be doubleded ,and pour 1/3 water inside ,it helps stoping asbestos flying around ,seal it good ( both of them ).

Find dumping area for asbestos waste.

Use protective equipment,mask and gloves,wear long sleeves,don`t expose any part of your body to air .

Be very careful when taking shingles down ,don`t brake ,it will release asbestos in the air.

Job site shouldn`t be used right after taking shingles off ,cause ,asbestos is still in the air .

Last edited by Work is good; 07-19-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Work is good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #7

Asbestos Shingles

Funny. I'm surprized all the guys that put those shingles on aren't dead. Too much hype about the dangers of asbestos, and the truth is you can still buy those shingles. No flame intended, just an observation of how much things have gotten out of hand in the building industry.

rww
rwwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #8

Asbestos Shingles

rwwood said: "and the truth is you can still buy those shingles."

You can buy mineral shingles, you just can't buy them containing asbestos.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
keep me busy

Asbestos Shingles

Problem with asbestos you couldn`t see after a week or month.After a yrs in future ,you may discover you have lung malfunction or even something worst than that ,and you`ll keep asking yourself ,what went wrong ?

Low require asbestos company keeps data about their workers for at least 25 yrs after they have been employed. Why is that ?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #10

Asbestos Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work is good View Post
Law require asbestos company keeps data about their workers for at least 25 yrs after they have been employed. Why is that ?
It's all about the money. More laws, higher corporate taxes. Higher taxes, less businesses can stay in business. More failed businesses, more unemployment. More unemployment, more "need" for government programs. More government programs, higher personal taxes.

So now we don't have asbestos, but how many other building materials contain components that cause heath problems when their dust is breathed or ingested. Don't even talk about what happens when those materials burn.

Death happens to everyone sooner or later, and no matter how many laws are instituted, that ain't gonna change, but the current climate in America has people believing that we just need another Government regulation to keep us safe from "whatever", and that we just need another pill to cure our ills.

I'm not against sensible laws, but things are out of hand. I spoke to an electrical inspector some 15 years ago (I've lived outside the US for 10+ years until recently) and he told me that in there had been more than 1000 revisions recently made to the electrical code. Do those revisions result in appreciably safer houses? Of course not. Do they result in higher costs for the consumer? Absolutely. The overal quality of many tract houses now is so poor I wouldn't live in one on a bet. Custom built is often not much better.

So, that's the end of my rant on that subject.
rww
rwwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Long-Time DIYer

Asbestos Shingles

jkrodger.
Here in NC, we can legally encapsulate asbestos siding and roofing shingles by sealing the roofing shingles with a permanent coating made for the purpose, or by simply painting or putting other siding (vinyl, etc.) over the old asbestos siding shingles, as long as the asbestos is not "friable" (powdery to the touch).
I'm not a pro contractor, but a long-time real estate broker, so I can't tell you the exact contractor terminology about asbestos, but you get the idea.
Check with your local Building Inspection Office before going to the expense of any asbestos disposal. THAT can get very expensive, and is often very unnecessary. Simply encapsulate it if possible, and it should be safe.
If people choose to paint the asbestos siding and there are broken asbestos shingles, they can get cement fiber replicas (made from the same stuff as Hardi-Plank) to match the old.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 07-22-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
keep me busy

Asbestos Shingles

MIke has the right regarding our post to discuss.

Sometimes there is too much regulation ,i mean they work when you have big job sites and work every day on it ,five day a week.

I`m trying to make safe for every project no matter how big is it.

If it`s my project i would do that.