Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
rwhess

Share |

Architectural Fees

I'm doing a remodel on a small 1834 house in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. the house was last remodeled in 1968. I plan to replace the shingle roof with a standing seam metal roof and add four dormers and a stairway from the second floor to the attic, which will become an office/guest bedroom. The footprint of the house if 23' by 30'. I'm being quoted architectural fees of approximately $9,000 (~$100 per hour) to produce construction drawing that will conform with all codes. Is this in the ballpark? Pictures of the house are located at http://web.me.com/roberthess/Markwoo..._Virginia.html

Best regards,

Robert

rwhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

Architectural Fees

I did my own plans - Free

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

Architectural Fees

When we did our 1500 sq ft addition it was about $1000 to $1500 for our plans. He was a local guy with not much overhead so he kept the cost down. Your quote seems a little high.
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #4

Architectural Fees

I was told by a builder last summer that architects seem to want up to 10% of the cost of the project. $100k project they want $10k for the plans. When deciding on our plans we had quotes of around $3k. Magically the builders architect would create the plans for that price after discussion.
One architect that came out said he would draw up very rough plans & send us a proposal in a few weeks, 3 weeks later we called & asked about the proposal he was going to send us. Reply was they were backed up & it would get it out to us. Weeks later we received a bill for $1500 for working on our plans
Needless to say we replied that we were waiting on the proposal & rough draft & had never agreed to hire him. We also stated we had found someone else since they had never sent us the proposal

At that point I opted to save the $3k & do the plans myself
I had everything roughed out & measured already. We had someone do an outside view for $100 (and he also changed what I wanted done), but it was enough to get the foundation permit & have it poured
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
rwhess

Architectural Fees

Thank you. This is good information. One of the justifications for the cost was to ensure compliance with code so that permitting would not be an issue.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Architectural Fees

Architects' prices vary greatly. I've seen high-end residential plans in excess of $60,000. Cheap plans are a few hundred bucks, and they're cheap.

Although I'm definately an advocate for using a good architect, I'll remind you that your building permit should include a thorough plan review. That process will ideally catch anything with the structure that would violate the code...Not always...Depends on the plan reviewer.

I know a lot of architects that aren't all that well-versed in the code. Using one isn't a guarantee that they'll design it right.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
rwhess

Architectural Fees

Thank you.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #8

Architectural Fees

My plans included outside view from 3 sides, 4th was existing house.
A floor plan of each level, window & door schedule
Indication of wood being used - sizes, LVL beams were engineered & stamped (free from lumber company)
Beam locations, stud, rafter & joist spacing
No indication of outlets, heating given

These are my rough sketch plans, I started design in 05 when we bought the house & modified them thru 3 years as I worked on the rest of the house

I initially started in college with architect/engineering course
So I took drafting courses & did very well. I switched to computers & have used 3 different programs for design work - none of them over $100. So I have some what of a background

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

Architectural Fees

The designs for our house were ~35 cents a square foot for living space, ~25cents for non-living space. Seems like I paid around $1400 for my 3500 sqft house w 600 sqft garage. All designs were to code. We had 3 meetings with the architect: one to show him ideas we liked, 2 to review the "first draft" and 3 to go over the final product. This was in central indiana. This guy was a commercial architect who does houses "on the side" We retained rights to the drawings when they were done, we can copy at-will.

Last edited by moondawg; 03-04-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I had a 600 ft garage, not basement.
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
rwhess

Architectural Fees

This is excellent information. Thank you again.