Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #1

Share |

Arched Patio Deck

Hello,

I have a 16' x 16' patio deck that I have already built, my wife has decided to add additional chores for me and would like the front of the deck to have a arch that comes off of it, we are also going to step down onto the arched way. The stepping down part I got, the problem is that I have no clue where to even start to build the framing or lay the planks because she would like it to be arched, I would imagine each cut will need to be precise, but I am at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to get this thing done.
I have tried to google this, but nothing really came up.

Thanks in advance,

Miklo
Miklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #2

Arched Patio Deck

you're a little vague on the arch thing. Is it just a step off of the existing deck? Is it another deck on a lower level? How wide and how deep do you want it? Whenever we do anything arched, we always build the frame first with easy angles. The frame is never arched.....only the deck boards on the top are ever cut with the arch in it. Figure out your desired arch and build the frame accordingly. Lay the deck boards on and then draw your arch on the boards and cut. Don't use a flimsy or dull jigsaw blade either. Careful that it is cutting square to the boards otherwise it's going to look pretty amateur. Hope that helps. Good luck.
the carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #3

Arched Patio Deck

If this is an overhead walk through arch, check out Norm Abrams' videos. He built one of these out of redwood. These were basically two rows of short pieces of wood offset from one another. He glued them together and took a router to round off the flat segments.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4

Arched Patio Deck

The arch is going to be the entire width of the existing deck, 16', as for the depth, to be honest I am not sure yet, the existing deck is roughly 2' tall, so the arch will be about 1', to build the frame makes much sense, and to make the cut by drawing the arch on each plank is good, my only question is whether or not there will be any overhang of the wood from the frame, if the frame is not to have any arch in it?

To answer the other question, no, this is not a walk through, this is going to be a standing arched deck , its purpose is to have a place for the wife to layout, that is not shaded by the gazebo.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #5

Arched Patio Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklo View Post
The arch is going to be the entire width of the existing deck, 16', as for the depth, to be honest I am not sure yet, the existing deck is roughly 2' tall, so the arch will be about 1', to build the frame makes much sense, and to make the cut by drawing the arch on each plank is good, my only question is whether or not there will be any overhang of the wood from the frame, if the frame is not to have any arch in it?

To answer the other question, no, this is not a walk through, this is going to be a standing arched deck , its purpose is to have a place for the wife to layout, that is not shaded by the gazebo.
You will need to build a support under this curved edge deck, unless the projection past the edge is less then 6".
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #6

Arched Patio Deck

That makes sense, thank you.