Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Approximate cost for entire project?

I'm trying to get SOME kind of idea of the cost of this project. I know it depends on a lot of things but hopefully I can get some kind of general idea. I'm looking at buying a house in Richmond, VA. It's a 2200sqft brick rowhouse duplex built in 1911. One unit on top and one on the bottom. I want to redo EVERYTHING..

1. demo the whole interior- all the walls to change the floorplan completely
2. take up the flooring and put down a subfloor
3. completely rewire the entire house (it already has 2, 200A panel boxes but has old knob and tube wiring. Put in coax and network cable in all rooms
4. completely redo all of the plumbing because the bathrooms and kitchens wont even be in the same location.
5. frame my new floor plan, insulate really well, drywall, trim, new kitchen appliances/cabinets etc.
6. paint the trim and windows on the outside
7. redo the porch roof (the house roof is fine)
8. my new floorplan consists of removing part of a weightbearing wall and replacing the joists in that area with I-Joists so that I can span the distance, I assume i'll need a structural engineer to take care of this.

Has anyone done something remotely similar and could give me a ballpark idea of what i'm looking at spending? 100k? 150k? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #2

There is no way that anyone can offer anything close to a reasonable budget estimate based on the information provided, even on a materials only basis for a DIY job. Too many variables.

This forum strongly discourages posters from asking questions related to job costs or asking people to provide budget numbers.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #3

I would think if someone has done a major renovation project similar to what i'm talking about they could certainly tell me what all they did and how much it cost them. That's all i'm looking for. I realize there are lots of variables but I would like an example from someone who has done something similar. I don't see why there's anything wrong with asking that.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

Sorry. Despite your intentions, the site administration and moderators find it more responsible to discourage such information (and potential misinformation) from being promulgated here.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #5

So you can explain to me how to rewire my house but you wouldnt want to misinform me regarding how much it might cost? I can't say I follow that logic. Out of every single topic on this entire site, this is the only area where i'm NOT concerned with misinformation. If the potential for damaging misinformation made a topic on this site taboo, this site wouldnt exist.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

As Termite said, not only is this simply a place to pick up some "how-to" knowledge, but it could also denigrate into a muddy pool of misinformation and discouraged readers. Readers who might actually strike out on an ill-gotten venture under the false impression that it was either an easier or far cheaper undertaking than realistic evaluation would reveal.

And that sort of evaluation can only be made on any project, let alone one of the scope you propose, by an educated professional hands-on examination.

But I will say this much. I began chuckling when I read your projected prices. I tell you this so you won't faint when a professional gives you his estimate. You aren't even in the ball park.

And, that fact is one of the very reasons DIY "guesstimating" is not allowed here. It really is dangerous...... especially emotionally.

Look at it this way. I recently replaced a door for the mother of a friend. This guy and I go way back, and he was the only one at my bedside, praying for hours, when I almost died a while back. I did it for $75.

The "going rate" (a terrible term) around here is anywhere from four to six times that amount. Do the math.

Now, John's mother has no idea what it costs for a door replacement. All she knows is that she got it done for $75. But if she posted on here that that is what you might expect to also pay, how frustrated do you think you would become trying to find that kind of estimate in your city?

So.............. even if someone here gave you an exact figure for their job, there are so many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of variables that the price wouldn't even be a realistic guideline for you.

The policy makes this forum run smoother. That's the bottom line. And it keeps people from running all over town looking for that elusive $75 door install.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-26-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
the Musigician

kc has already answered in a professional, polite way. what he omitted was the fact that some guys come here with a list of things needing done and asking how much they should 'pay' when they're really asking "how much should i charge"? this is just one more reason to add to his answer.

DM
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
As Termite said, not only is this simply a place to pick up some "how-to" knowledge, but it could also denigrate into a muddy pool of misinformation and discouraged readers. Readers who might actually strike out on an ill-gotten venture under the false impression that it was either an easier or far cheaper undertaking than realistic evaluation would reveal.

And that sort of evaluation can only be made on any project, let alone one of the scope you propose, by an educated professional hands-on examination.

But I will say this much. I began chuckling when I read your projected prices. I tell you this so you won't faint when a professional gives you his estimate. You aren't even in the ball park.

And, that fact is one of the very reasons DIY "guesstimating" is not allowed here. It really is dangerous...... especially emotionally.
You don't think it could come in close to 150K?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
You don't think it could come in close to 150K?
Hey, I may be eating Bar-B-Que with Termite soon................ I don't want him slipping some evil hot sauce in on me. He's the Mod, it's his wishes we abide by.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #10

Willie T - You're response is exactly why i'm asking the question in the first place. If i'm not in the ballpark I would like to know. I don't see why that needs to be so secretive. I understand that misinformation can cause problems for people...but you can make the same case for any topic on this forum.

DangerMouse - I didn't realize people did that. I suppose if I were asking for more specific figures then I could see that being an issue.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnis0612 View Post
Willie T - You're response is exactly why i'm asking the question in the first place. If i'm not in the ballpark I would like to know. I don't see why that needs to be so secretive. I understand that misinformation can cause problems for people...but you can make the same case for any topic on this forum.

DangerMouse - I didn't realize people did that. I suppose if I were asking for more specific figures then I could see that being an issue.
For all you know, I could be all wet. The only way you will know what it will cost in your area is to have some contractors come over and give you estimates.

Suppose Mouse (and he's a knowledgeable guy) said he thought 80k was reasonable.... and you already know I'm way above that number... WAY above. What do you have? Who ya gonna believe. Well, logic says you'd "want to" believe Mouse. But you'd still have no idea in the world if either of us sees what your contractors are going to see.

Only place to get an estimate anywhere near accurate is from the guy who's going to do the work. And no one here is likely to be that guy.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #12

The site administration makes the rules here, the moderators enforce those rules, and they're not negotiable. This is a free website, and is a wonderful resource for thousands of people to get their how-to questions answered.

Closed Thread