Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

Applying Sprayed Stained Cement to Durock

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site & am a newbie but a very inquisitive one to this very interesting world. I was always watching my father do things from the time I was old enough to hold a hammer until I was ready to leave home. I only learn well by doing things myself with a friend showing me the way. ... Anyways, I have 3 interior walls 12 feet high covered with 1/2" durorock which I want to spray with a stained cement. Has anyone done this before? Will the cement on these walls be stable? I was going to use a penetrator type of sealer since I wanted a non glossy, natural appearance & to make it easier to take care of.All of the Durorock is screwed in but not always into the studs. Thanks for any help, Ron

drarthur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Sprayed concrete doesn't work as well on vertical surfaces as it does on horizontal ones, even the polymer-modified cements of the decorative concrete world, ask them.

We tried shooting vertical surfaces in spite of the warnings and it didn't hold up, and had nothing to do with the actual surface being sprayed - which was also concrete. But here you're talking a slick wallboard surface.

Let us know if it works.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
drarthur25 (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthur25 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site & am a newbie but a very inquisitive one to this very interesting world. I was always watching my father do things from the time I was old enough to hold a hammer until I was ready to leave home. I only learn well by doing things myself with a friend showing me the way. ... Anyways, I have 3 interior walls 12 feet high covered with 1/2" durorock which I want to spray with a stained cement. Has anyone done this before? Will the cement on these walls be stable? I was going to use a penetrator type of sealer since I wanted a non glossy, natural appearance & to make it easier to take care of.All of the Durorock is screwed in but not always into the studs. Thanks for any help, Ron
Concrete sticking issue aside, if the substrate is not secured correctly, whatever you do on top of it is a waste of time and materials.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 12-15-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

many polymer-modified cements will work but most depend on expanded wire-mesh being attached 1st,,, these cements are specially blended products usually of proprietary design,,, personally i would be overly concerned that the durock's not screwed into all the studs - drywall isn't either.

spraying w/stained cement should be a challenge,,, we trowel it, sometimes w/integral color, then stain it.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote