Apartment Floor Mess- Pouring Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Apartment floor mess- pouring concrete

Hey guys, newbie on the forum, just a quick question for those of you with a few years on me.

I'm renovating a friends kitchen and bathroom in a first floor apartment. I started removing the bath floortile today when I realized there is no real subfloor, just cemented beer bottles with broken tile and 10" of thinset to make the shower base.

I removed most of it and am now left with broken up cement/thinset/tile with solid concrete in some places.

I'm going to be putting down porcelain tile, so my two choices are:

Frame a wood subfloor, put down plywood, put down cement board, thinset tile.

OR

level out, Pour a concrete slab with a broom finish and thinset the tile to that.

I'm leaning for the latter, as it's less work, easier and would make more sense I think.

Comments?

If I go with the slab, will portland/ sand/ water work or should I use a latex additive?

There is a basement below so moisture is not a big concern (at least i don't think)

Any thickness recommendations? There is a cement base in some places so I shouldn't have to go too thick, right?

Thanks for any help guys,

W

Advertisement

wjplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 512

You opened up a big can of worms. i think pouring concrete is your only real option. But you need to take down all the wood framing first.

Advertisement

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
You opened up a big can of worms. i think pouring concrete is your only real option. But you need to take down all the wood framing first.

My other only option was to put down a third layer of tile over tile that was cracking/ falling apart over a subfloor that was never done properly in the first place.

wood framing only goes a foot into the bathroom (extends out from the hallway) not a big problem

Also think a wire mesh would be a good idea in the concrete, correct?
wjplata is offline   Reply With Quote