Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

anyone use Blue Max or similar rubbing coating on outside of foundation walls?

To stop a leaking old basement we plan to dig down to the footings, tile, gravel etc. well my husband ordered this to paint onto the outside of the basement walls before we fill in the dirt/gravel. it was pretty darn expensive I just would like to hear about any personal experiences/knowledge on it. thanks!!!

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #2

I wouldn't rely on anything but a spray-applied asphaltic coating to dampproof subgrade foundation walls. Take it back and have a foundation dampproofer come out and shoot the walls. It won't be too expensive and will likely perform better than a paint-type product.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
To stop a leaking old basement we plan to dig down to the footings, tile, gravel etc. well my husband ordered this to paint onto the outside of the basement walls before we fill in the dirt/gravel. it was pretty darn expensive I just would like to hear about any personal experiences/knowledge on it. thanks!!!
If your husband is dead set on Blue Max, it does come in a sprayable grade too.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

I encourage you to investigate the longevity of any product you choose. I recently excavated along my 30 year old poured concrete basement wall. It was obvious that they had applied an asphaltic coating but it was essentially gone. Apparently microbes in the soil will eventually decompose the coating.

Your plan sounds good, just check out the coating options well (you could also investigate peel and stick membranes and various drain boards) and be sure that your drain tile drains freely away from the house.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

basement with water and not leaking through the concrete. Hopefully this stuff will work cuz it'll be ALOT of work to apply! Thanks for the input, I wish we did research what it would cost to hire it sprayed on. maybe we'll consider that option. the stuff we bought was $2,000.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #6

annie, i'm impress'd & we did that for a living,,, ' sprayable ' i dunno know, tho,,, CLEAN THE WALL WELL down to below the footer,,, far's a ' spray-applied asphaltic ', its only good when its a rubberiz'd compound ',,, 'mite, isn't the spec 3mils of dampproofing mtl ? ? ? worthless imn-s-h-fo.

stopping the wtr coming UP THRU YOUR BSMT FLOOR'll be an interesting post i solemnly anticipate tho, annie,,, after all, that wtr's got to go somewhere, doesn't it ? ? ? think of your bsmt as a ship's hull & the lawn outside's the wtrline,,, below the wtrline, wtr always tries to get in to where ? - our very fine bsmts - even mine

google up ' rubb-r-wall - rubberwall - rubbrwall - basement waterproofing material - rubberized asphalt ' $ 2,000 is cheap if it works but, again my opinion only, you'll need a sump & pump eventually.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote