Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anyone have any luck using compacted crushed stone to set a fence post?

Hey folks,

I live in Massachusetts and I'm putting in a privacy vinyl fence 6' tall (5' + 1' topper) in some sections and 8' tall in others (7' + 1' topper). I've dug my holes 3' deep 1' wide for the 6' tall sections and 4' deep for the 8' tall sections.

I had been planning to use concrete to set the posts in place but I've heard about some people using crushed stone instead (or Crusher Run) and tamping it down in 6" intervals. This appeals to me because the fence runs along my property line, and the ground drops significantly to the neighbors side (to clarify, the fence is level, but the ground running parallel to it drops off by 3'-5'). The fence is 1'-3' away from the drop off. Because of this I think I could be more prone to movement so my thoughts are that if I used Crusher Run, fixing any movement that occurs will be a lot easier than if I used Concrete.

My concern is the compacted stone might be too weak compared to concrete and movement could possibly be guaranteed within 5 years? True? False? Has anyone had any experience using compacted crushed stone for setting fence posts? Were you successful or did it fail?

Thanks

nullqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

What I would be concerned about is that water would seep down through the tiny gaps in the crusher run fill, so the water might stay around the post and keep it wet all the time. Never tried it, though.

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I would use concrete, there is a tremendous amount of wind shear on a privacy fence.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Wasn't the answer over at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r264...r-Fence-Posts- good enough, or just needing more of the same answers?

The short is, if this is a temporary, use the stone dust. If making permanent, corner posts and gate posts go in concrete, the rest go right into the dirt.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Wasn't the answer over at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r264...r-Fence-Posts- good enough, or just needing more of the same answers?
No it wasn't. I was looking for more opinions and hoping to find people that have used it in the past.

That's why my last post on that forum said:
"I might try to post to one more forum and see if I can find some people that have tried it and had luck with it, or failure. Thanks everyone"
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I used angular crushed stone O my brother's fence 5 years ago. Cedar posts set in dirt rotted within 4 years. I put pressure treated posts in surrounded by gravel and it's still solid.
Posts were set 36" down over 6" of the gravel. Gravel added in 6-8" lifts and compacted up to ground level.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Cool! Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, was this a privacy fence?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
Cool! Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, was this a privacy fence?
Yes, it was a 6 ft high cedar privacy fence.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote