Anyone Have Any Experience Welding Iron Railings? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Anyone Have Any Experience Welding Iron Railings?

Hi, I've been fixing up a clients front steps and they have an old iron railing and they have asked me if I could build them something nicer. I have a little welding experience but I've never built anything like that before. Does anyone have any good advice or know of a site where I can learn quickly?

Thanks

Advertisement

handyman-tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Try finding a scrap yard that has iron railings, I have one by me that has a large assortment of used railings some nicer than others. I actually got two one time and modified them to fit a job. It would be alot easier to modify two of them to fit you needs than to make them from scratch. Just bring the old one with you and match up the rise as best as you can. Then modify it.

Advertisement

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,080

Welcome to the forum! If you use older railing and it has dividers or pickets, make sure is is up to code or you will be liable in the future. Just a handrail, fine. Check the size, height, distance past top and bottom step, returns, etc., here: http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Tags
iron railing , welding