Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

Anyone have any experience with Micore 300?

Hi all,
I'm building a hearth for a wood stove, and I wanted it to be flush with the hardwood. I found Micore 300 that has an R value that will satisfy the fire code at 1/2" thickness. But I've been reading a bit more, and people say it's "squishy" or brittle. I'm hesitant to tile straight on it, as I'm concerned about putting the 400+ pound wood stove on top of it and not having the tiles crack.

I've read about hearth's cracking because of insufficient transfer of heat, and folks recommend Ditra, but I'm not certain if that will eliminate my "squishy" Micore foundation.

If I lay Micore 300 at 1/2", then Durock, at 1/4" plus my subfloor that still puts me 7/16" above being flush. Subfloor is 3/4"

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, I appreciate the input

gtono is offline   Reply With Quote