Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Anyone ever turn an 80" tall storm door into a 72" tall one?

We have a screen porch that has what looks to be an old, home-made wooden screen door. It doesn't come close to shutting flush, and so the bugs still come in, mostly at night. The door (and the whole facade of the screen porch) is only 75" tall. We want to get a real storm door (I think that's what it's called...just want to be able to shut/lock it), but they mostly come in 80" heights. I don't have the money for custom. I was thinking of finding a cheap one on CL and trimming the bottom to fit. My other option was going to be an RV door, which seem to be 32x72. Any other ideas?

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #2

We cut storm doors down all the time. You just have to find a door that able to be cut. We usually get them from homedepot or lowes. You want to get a wood core one covered in vinyl or aluminum,without any decorative features on the lower section. You want something like the emco 100 or 200 series. I am not sure if there is enough material there to cut it as far as you want. You will have to do some measuring at the store. We just use a circular saw to cut the bottom and then seal the cut edge with caulking.

paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul100 View Post
We cut storm doors down all the time. You just have to find a door that able to be cut. We usually get them from homedepot or lowes. You want to get a wood core one covered in vinyl or aluminum,without any decorative features on the lower section. You want something like the emco 100 or 200 series. I am not sure if there is enough material there to cut it as far as you want. You will have to do some measuring at the store. We just use a circular saw to cut the bottom and then seal the cut edge with caulking.
Awesome, thanks. I just found the 100 series on HomeDepot's website, and that looks perfect. They actually have a 32x78 option, so I'd only have to cut a few inches. Appreciate the response!
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote