Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Anyone Built a Storage/Tool Shed?

I want one of these, from homedepot, they are running a special this month for $5,000 installed. or i thought about building it myself..
(anyone got any plans/designs, or recommend any books?)

Is there any special permits needed? (Thank god, I dont live in a HOA)

ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Shed permits and property line set backs are locally controlled- Do check first--
The folks across the street from my had to move a new shed 3" --because they failed to check the set-back.

Plans are available easily--google shed plans--images--

If you like that style--Menards sells premade frames for barn style sheds---Mike--

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If you want to save money, there's less than $2000 of material in that. If you don't want headaches, let them do it. Ironically, HD has books that show how to build sheds
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am considering buiding one this spring, but a little smaller. What I was going to do, was to find one at Home Depot (they often have them sitting on one side of the parking lot in my area) that I liked and video record all the measurements. I asked an associate if they had a problem with this and they said "no problem".

I plan on buying the materials from them anyway, so the're gonna make money. I wouldn't think there would be any copyrights on the design of these types of basic sheds. I was going to use Hardie vertical siding, and a different type of shingle, and I was going to have a concrete slab floor, so it wouldn't be exactly the same. The measurements is what I was after, with the design characteristics second.

What do you guys think? Is this wrong or unethical? For the record, Home Depot won't sell just the kit on these, you must have them install it. I wanted the challenge of building it myself, hopefully stronger and better, while saving myself all the labor costs and makeups for material and delivery.

Last edited by Gulledge; 01-30-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Gulledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

You will be fine---You will tweek their design to suit your taste--size and materials--I an sure your shed will only be "inspired by" the one you are looking at.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Mike is right. When I decided to build my shed, I just Googled it and got all kinds of plans and blue-prints. In the end, I just kind of designed what I wanted and built it.

Mine is an 8x12, single level shed, with a 3-12 pitch shingled roof. I used good materials, and my total cost was about $800.

Fortunately, I'm in an older home on a huge lot. I have the foundation of an old carriage barn in my back yard, so I can build whatever I want on that foundation without a permit, because it doesn't change the "footprint" of the property.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulledge View Post
I am considering buiding one this spring, but a little smaller. What I was going to do, was to find one at Home Depot (they often have them sitting on one side of the parking lot in my area) that I liked and video record all the measurements. I asked an associate if they had a problem with this and they said "no problem".
In all honesty, the "associate" you talked to was probably a college-aged kid that had no idea what you were talking about.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
In all honesty, the "associate" you talked to was probably a college-aged kid that had no idea what you were talking about.
A little older than college age, but not much. The main reason I asked was the fact that I would be video taping on private property. Many corporations might ask you to leave, and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to create a problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
A little older than college age, but not much. The main reason I asked was the fact that I would be video taping on private property. Many corporations might ask you to leave, and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to create a problem.
Right.

I'm just joking. At the Home Depot near me, there are a few real humdinger associates who "work" there. I could ask them if it'd be okay to fly an airplane in the store & they'd probably say, "Yeah man, it's cool..."
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Right.

I'm just joking. At the Home Depot near me, there are a few real humdinger associates who "work" there. I could ask them if it'd be okay to fly an airplane in the store & they'd probably say, "Yeah man, it's cool..."
They may not know much, but at least they can drive a forklift! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBCos...eature=related

Last edited by Gulledge; 01-30-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
They may not know much, but at least they can drive a forklift! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBCos...eature=related
Awesome!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,002

Ehoez,
If you buy the book on building your own shed you will have all the info you need. No need to video tape or even measure. It is ususally in the bookstand next to the registers at the home depots. Lowes has them too. The book will help you understand the whole process of building a shed from start to finish. It's illustrated very nicely and easy to follow. There are a lot of good ideas in there you may want to incorporate to personalize your shed.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-30-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Energy Efficient

You may want to look at building a steel shed. Steel 2x4 and trusses. Easy to assemble. Long lasting. Check to see if you have any steel home builders in your area. If not see if there are any reasonably close as shipping can get spendy.
Inergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

I built one last year out of reclaimed lumber from a couple of sheds. I found the bulk of the wood free on craiglist in the form a shed that needed to be taken down. I bought additional material, as well as cedar wall shingles for the roof. Built the doors. Collected field stone for the foundation. That was a lot of work!

I'd say the "free" shed cost me $2,000 and an entire summer off/on to build. I'm not a builder, so progress was slow. In the end, I couldn't be happier with the result and all the neighbors seem to like it, too. A great sense of pride and accomplishment.

Now waiting for it to weather...
Attached Images

tbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #15

I copied one that I really liked at lowes but made it better. I over killed it for a shed but it was still less than half of what they wanted for their shed.
The lowes shed was an 8'wx6'd flimsily built, 24'' oc framing shed for 960.00 but I liked the size for my very small yard at the time. So I built mine in two days, by myself. Mine was built with 16'' centers ( 10 or 15 extra 2"x4" 's ain't gonna brake anyone) basic shingles and I used 4'x8' siding panels, and 3/4'' osb floor and roof, made it 8'x8' so there was little waste of sheet goods and it cost with tax about 435.00 without paint. Its not nearly as big as the shed you want but it shows you how much money you can save doing it by yourself or with some friends and have the pride of knowing you built it. You can do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Built a Storage/Tool Shed?-dscf0215.jpg   Anyone Built a Storage/Tool Shed?-dscf0080.jpg  
Attached Images

JasonJr is offline   Reply With Quote