Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Share |

Any tips for mixing "premixed bagged concrete" for a small project?

Hi guys! I'll be using a couple of bags of premixed concrete from HD/Lowes/Etc to make some footings for some piers/beam that I'm adding to simply bolster my floor in anticipation of a large aquarium to be placed above the beam.

My situation is this. I'll be digging two footing holes (through rat proofing int he crawlspace) that would be 16x16x10 or something like that. There will be two posts.

So should I mix up one bag of concrete, haul it to the hole, pour it, go back outside, mix up another bag ... etc. Or does it all have to be mixed up together? Meaning, do I somehow mix up 4 bags of it in a wheel barrow and just haul over bucket after bucket to the holes? Should I haul the dry bags to the crawlspace and mix it there with a garden hose running under the house?

I know that a bunch of you must have done something similar, so I want to tap into that wealth of experience/pain/strained backs.

Thanks!

Vince

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
DIY staff

First off---concrete takes less water than you think----Depending on the height of the crawl space--

I'd consider mixing it in the crawl space---using a hoe--a mixing pan and a bucket of water--

If it's to tight down there---mix outside with your wheel barrow and haul it in premixed using buckets--

Watch your water---to soupy and you have a weak mix----Mike---

Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

When I had to put in footings under my concrete deck, I dug down the required four feet and excavated the hole to suit the footing size that I wanted, I threw in a few shovels full of mix, added water and mixed it by tamping with the end of a 2X4. Kept repeating this routine until I had the depth that I needed.
Did the same with the SONO tubes also!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

You can mix different batches, as long as you are doing it continuously, keep the water ratio of each batch close to have uniform strength
Blankamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #5

the primary error is too much wtr,,, heep your wtr/mix ratio at the bag's rate,,, if you have to carry 5gal bkts of it, just 'rod' the batches together w/pc of rebar,,, for added strength, properly place some #4 bar
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Similar to the suggestion of adding dry mix into the hole and adding water. Would it be impossible or dumb to fill the entire hole with dry mix then somehow mix it all up in the hole? Or would that be too difficult to properly mix?

Thanks for the tips!

I came across a "Concrete mixing bag" That looked interesting, but unless I see some raving reviews of it, I'll stick with traditional mixing!

Vince
Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #7

Hmmm. Water weighs 62 lbs/cu foot. So if you have a yard of water, you've got 1600 lbs.

Soil it generally rated at 2000 lbs per sf.

So if you dig your footing hole, put a little gravel in the bottom, and drop a 12" deck footing block into it you can support around 2000 lbs per hole. Be a lot easier than mixing concrete in your crawl space, and you would know for sure that it was strong, fully cured concrete.

Just a thought. Mixing concrete by hand is hard enough when you can stand up to do it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Hmmm. Water weighs 62 lbs/cu foot. So if you have a yard of water, you've got 1600 lbs.

Soil it generally rated at 2000 lbs per sf.

So if you dig your footing hole, put a little gravel in the bottom, and drop a 12" deck footing block into it you can support around 2000 lbs per hole. Be a lot easier than mixing concrete in your crawl space, and you would know for sure that it was strong, fully cured concrete.

Just a thought. Mixing concrete by hand is hard enough when you can stand up to do it.

Yes, the plan was to dig a hole, put in some concrete and then set one of those pre-formed piers on top of it to get some height. I wanted to use some concrete footing under the pier to get a bit more area and a bit more stability than just the pre-formed pier. Also I wanted to "reseal" the hole in the rat proofing to prevent ... rats.