Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #1

Share |

Any problem with concrete poured over copper pipe?

Hello all ~

Being new to your forum... I have attempted to use the "search" feature and not found any threads to answer my question/concern.

Is there any long term issues with concrete poured over bare copper piping?

I am in the process of adding a RV gate with provisions for full hook up by extending my sewer line, adding electrical as well as a water line. My concern is I was planning on laying about 35 feet of 3/4" copper tubing (schedule L thickness) directly on top of the house footer against the foundation, then having a concrete slab poured encasing the tubing in place.

Any suggestions would be apprecieated... before I regret my planned decision.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mikej-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Mike;

Don't do it

Concrete chemicals eat copper and create leaks. either sleeve the pipe or convert to PEX...which should still be sleeved in case of any future issues.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
I blame ProWallGuy

Your water pipe should not be buried in concrete. The fly ash in most concretes will eat the copper.

You should really bury the copper in the soil deep enough to be below the deepest freeze line recored in your area (check with local code officials). Some areas require the copper to be sleeved (you can buy it with a plastic sleeve already over the copper). Also, placing the copper in the footing area of an adjoining pad of concrete is disallowed under most model codes. Move it out to the thinner area and bury it in the soil as stated above.

It must definitely be sleeved where it comes up out of the concrete. The copper and the concrete will heat and cool at different rates and for different reasons causing an abrasion leak in short order.

GL with your project.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
so-elitecrete

i'd use pex insulated w/snap-on foam,,, remember reading somewhere copper & conc don't mix well but that was long ago - maybe they're become friends since ? ? ?
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #5

Chris Johnson & Double A - thanks for your quick reply.

I will alter my project plans... glad I asked! When you state to "sleeve" it... How thick of a sleeve would be required? Would a flexible electical rolled tubing be ok or could/should I use std pvc pipe or rigid plastic electrical conduit? I already own the copper pipe.

thanks again in advance
MIke
Mikej-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
so-elitecrete

& probably less expensive than the others,,, many time we leave a separate nylon line/rope in the sleeve just in case.

jumping in 'cause the others guys probably left for work
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote