DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Any problem with concrete poured over copper pipe?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  so-elitecrete 
#1 ·
Hello all ~

Being new to your forum... I have attempted to use the "search" feature and not found any threads to answer my question/concern.

Is there any long term issues with concrete poured over bare copper piping?

I am in the process of adding a RV gate with provisions for full hook up by extending my sewer line, adding electrical as well as a water line. My concern is I was planning on laying about 35 feet of 3/4" copper tubing (schedule L thickness) directly on top of the house footer against the foundation, then having a concrete slab poured encasing the tubing in place.

Any suggestions would be apprecieated... before I regret my planned decision.

Thanks in advance

Mike

#3 ·
Your water pipe should not be buried in concrete. The fly ash in most concretes will eat the copper.

You should really bury the copper in the soil deep enough to be below the deepest freeze line recored in your area (check with local code officials). Some areas require the copper to be sleeved (you can buy it with a plastic sleeve already over the copper). Also, placing the copper in the footing area of an adjoining pad of concrete is disallowed under most model codes. Move it out to the thinner area and bury it in the soil as stated above.

It must definitely be sleeved where it comes up out of the concrete. The copper and the concrete will heat and cool at different rates and for different reasons causing an abrasion leak in short order.

GL with your project.

#5 ·
Chris Johnson & Double A - thanks for your quick reply.

I will alter my project plans... glad I asked! When you state to "sleeve" it... How thick of a sleeve would be required? Would a flexible electical rolled tubing be ok or could/should I use std pvc pipe or rigid plastic electrical conduit? I already own the copper pipe.

thanks again in advance
MIke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.