Any Guess What's Behind Box #1? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Any guess what's behind box #1?

Hi guys,

We bought this split-level last year. This is on the ground floor level. This room was renovated five years ago by the old home owner. The left side (left of the ceiling beam) was a garage and right of the beam was the family room. It's now one big family room (the door leads to a new garage addition they also made).

My question is...what the heck could be in that box that I drew an arrow to? There's nothing on the opposite side of the wall in the garage. I tap on it and it sounds hollow. But obviously there's got to be something inside of it unless they thought a box on the ceiling was stylish.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Any guess what's behind box #1?-photo-1.jpg  

Advertisement

harrykeogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

Cut off the sheetrock and find out.
I've seen a lot of older houses where they did that to try and cover up new heating ducts.
I'd be more concered with how they opened up that wall, did they even check to see if it was a supporting wall?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

OMG.....you found Jimmy Hoffa.....

Ok...all fun aside....seeing those 'channels' that go into and out of it...I'm thinking electrical.

What is on the back side?

It might be both electrical and HVAC.....but I see some options to redoing that wall...sure are a lot of 'bumps' in that one area.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
OMG.....you found Jimmy Hoffa.....

Ok...all fun aside....seeing those 'channels' that go into and out of it...I'm thinking electrical.

What is on the back side?

It might be both electrical and HVAC.....but I see some options to redoing that wall...sure are a lot of 'bumps' in that one area.
On the opposite side of the wall it's flat. Used to be an exterior wall. Top half is drywall. Bottom half is what appears to be like cement.

Yeah, all those humps are making it difficult to plan out an entertainment system. I'd like to wall mount a TV and put in in-wall speakers but there's so much in the way.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

My guess would be ductwork.

They built the box to hide it after routing it under the beam that runs across the room where the dividing wall used to be between the garage and family room.

The only way to know for sure is to open it up and look.

My guess is that the beam on the ceiling is hiding a doubled up 2x and the beam on the wall is a post supporting the end of the new beam after the supporting wall was removed
MTWI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTWI For This Useful Post:
harrykeogh (05-04-2012), mae-ling (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,468

I saying heating ducts as well. They couldn't go through the beam so they had to go under it.
Probably something similar to this.

harrykeogh (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,790

My guess is there is a bathroom or laundry above and that is covering up pipes especially the one going down the wall.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
My guess is there is a bathroom or laundry above and that is covering up pipes especially the one going down the wall.
No, it's actually just a bedroom.

As soon as I have some free time I'll be doing some exploratory surgery to see what's in the box and going down the wall. From what I've read in this thread I'm leaning towards ductwork in the box and a support beam going down the wall.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

My money is on MTWI. If there is a garage on the other side of the wall, you might be able to move the ducting over to that side and have the ugly box in the garage instead of the family room.

As for the TV, you could frame it so that the wall comes out to the lower bump all the way to the ceiling, mount the TV on that. Then you could stick some in-wall speakers in that void you created.

The problem is that for optimum viewing and listening, you want the TV and the speakers to be at eye and ear level. Especially the center channel, which has most of the dialogue. If the center channel is too high, it sounds like the voice of god or something coming down at you. With that lower cement box, it's going to be tough to place things optimally, unless you frame it slightly beyond the cement box, and then put the speakers lower and in front of the box.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 05-04-2012 at 05:10 PM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #10

After reading the responses here I couldn't contain my curiosity any longer so I cut a hole in the side of the box and MTWI nailed it. It was ductwork and the two channels running to it are support beams. The box is oversized so I may be able to make it about 25% smaller.

Advertisement