Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Any code for walk way width indoors?

Say I have a wall, and then a server rack, and the only way to get on the other side (behind the rack) is to walk between the wall and server rack, is there a minimum width that is required by code for this area? I have a situation where I can solve it by making that portion the way to get behind, instead of the planed place.

Basically, I want to put a cable management system beside the rack (the width of a 2x6 and 2x4) but I have no room. But if I put that wood rack on the other side where the walkway is suppose to be, I'll have room, and that will become the walk way instead. So that space between the rack and wall, minus the width of a 2x6 and 2x4 and 1/8 inch give or take (plywood panel will go there after).

So it would be about 19" or so. Can I legally do this? I'm not sure what codes would apply here, fire? Keep in mind this is not a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom or any other such room. Can probably look at it the same way as like a closet or something. I have seen wiring closets in commercial settings have no more than like 16" of clearance to get behind so I think I'd be in the clear.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

I guess it would depend on occupancy and building code. Is this your private dwelling?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Yeah my own house. I'm pondering on just doing it anyway, but knowing if I'm not in violation will make me feel better. If it is a violation at least I can try to see what my other options are.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

I'm not up on the National Building Code as I'm in the states. I know of nothing in my local code that requires a minimum width of travel in a dwelling, there are requirements for commercial buildings.

If it is a concern I'd suggest contacting your local building official.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

That's good to know now that I think about it think it was commercial buildings where I heard of this, and it's for wheelchair accessibility, so think I'll go ahead with it. If ever I sell the house I may bring the server rack with me anyway so it would open that up. It also acts as an incentive for me not to gain weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Is the 19" space the only passageway to another room? Or is it just access to your equipment? There are minimums for doorways and passageways between spaces, but so far as I know, none for equipment access that is NOT a part of the building. There are clearance requirements around a boiler or a toilet for instance.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

It's just to access behind the equipment, so technically it's all one big room with the equipment in the middle and a passage way on only one side.

There will be an electrical panel going in there though, so I'll have to make sure I meet the clearance for that but think I'll be ok. I'll have to remeasure when it comes that time.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

In the U.S. you need 3 feet of clearance around an electrical panel.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Also 3' net in the egress path through a house from all rooms to the egress door (also 3' wide) including hallways, landings and stairs;
"R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage." From; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined (underline is mine)

Gary
PS. anytime a picture is posted.... fair game, lol; "The use of 1/2-inch thick ordinary, unrated gypsum wallboard will very likely more than double the fire-endurance time for all commonly used
wood floor joist systems, including sawn-lumber, open web wood trusses and I-joists." From; http://www.gypsum.org/wp/wp-content/.../11/225-08.pdf

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-15-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote