Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

any advice on foundation for a bedroom addition?

I live in Northern Vermont. Winters are cold, not as bad as they once were.
But we get at least 2- 3 weeks of below 10 degree weather.

I want to add an addition onto my existing 10 x 12 bedroom. I haven't figured out what size yet, because the wife and are arguing about adding a bath in there as well. I have replumbed our kitchen and both our bathrooms, so I have no problem doing it. SHE doesn't want one. go figure. Very practical she is.

so the factors involved are- I will most likely have plumbing running to the addition, I heat by baseboard and I want the floor to be warm or at least NOT FREEZING!

This is for a ranch with 50% of the foundation showing, so about 4 feet I cant touch the bottom of the bedroom window standing on the ground. The house is ranch. (Previous owners handy work) *side note the addition will also solve our water issue as it will put the rain water at least another 10 feet out from out existing foundation. When he dug out the foundation to add windown for a finsihed basement. he left the dirt, so it created a bowl around the house. GENIUS!

Obviously cost is the issue.

Option 1.

dig 4 foot deep holes, use "bigfoots" and put in 10" concrete piers. All of which I would do myself.
Can I insulate with spray foam or regular inulation well enough to not have any issues?

Option 2 Pay to have a slab put down. Then I could do a concrete block wall
as the foundation. Anyone have a ball park figure on a (say for instance )
12 X 12 slab, prepped for a structure? No rocks, easy digging.

All I am concerned about now is figuring out which method for the foundation to use. I am fully aware of hvac, electrical, roofing and siding that needs to be done.
thank you.

iamsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Option 1 is only an option if you follow your wife's desires. You'll be hard pressed to keep pipes from freezing within an exposed floor system like that.

Option 2 I'm not sure what you mean by a slab and then block. Do you mean you'll pay someone to form and pour a footing and then you'll course the walls? If so, then I've always been a fan of basements for both storage and utility access to the rooms above.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

yes- Have a footing and slab poured and I would then do the block wall.

This would be my preferred method. It would guarantee warmth and extra storage which noone complains about.

Does anyone have a generic ball park figure for a 12 x 12 slab with easy access and next to none excavation?

thanks!
iamsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsaws View Post
Does anyone have a generic ball park figure for a 12 x 12 slab with easy access and next to none excavation?
Yep, those local contractors of yours...with this economy an regional price differences you won't find an estimate worth more than a bag of dog crap on here...