Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Share |

Another shed question

My shed is 99% done at this point but I am not sure about how they supported the middle in the front and back. The actual middle is on blocks like the 4 corners are. They just put a piece of 2x4 there and I don't even think its treated wood. The guy is coming back in the morning to finish off the door since he didn't have a certain size drill bit with him so I am having my dad ask him tomorrow since I will be working like always. Pictures at bottom.

Also the trim pieces are just the bare wood, I think this is normal and I will just paint them. Is there something better I can do up there? Last picture.

Another shed question-image-2824414645.jpg

Another shed question-image-905325217.jpg

Another shed question-image-1874483015.jpg

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Another shed question

OH boy! Were is the Simpson brackets to hold the posts to the shed a good swift kick and that shed is coming down!

Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Another shed question

I see nothing there that's right.
The piece under the doors threshold sticks out past it, sure way to have water get in under the threshold and rot out the subflooring.
The foundation is not even close to being right.
There's no center support to stop the center of the building from sagging and throwing off the door.
Are those 2X4's for floor joist?
If one of my guys had built something like that for one of my customers he would be fired.
Is there any J moulding around those doors?

Get someone to wrap the trim with coil stock is you want it to be maintaince free.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

Another shed question

I think the picture makes it look worse than it really is. The wood going all the way across the bottom is a 4x6 treated and there are 3 of them supporting the shed. They run on top of concrete blocks everywhere except the the front and back middle which is what I do not like at all and am going to make him fix with concrete blocks tomorrow before I pay him. As for that wood across the bottom of the door I figured that's there to attach a ramp to which I will be doing ASAP. What's wrong with the foundation? It's pretty solid and no wood is touching the ground
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5

Another shed question

Also the shed is supported in the very center by blocks like the 4 corners. I just didn't take a picture of that. I also am pretty sure that board under the door is flush with the walls. I am not home now but it didn't catch my eye when I was looking at it yesterday. It looks like its not flush in the picture so I see why you think that.

Last edited by nikeman; 03-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Another shed question

Here's some pics I took while they were building.

I saw the 2x4 in the middle but assumed they would fix it and just didn't have enough blocks. It's even off center a little which is why I thought they planned on fixing it. Of course now that they are pretty much done and they still haven't put blocks there I am a little questionable as to paying them the rest of the money. Am I being fair if I refuse to pay until they support the front and back better?
Another shed question-image-1275215484.jpg

Another shed question-image-3361322112.jpg

Last edited by nikeman; 03-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #7

Another shed question

Sorry to keep adding on to this but what is this coil stock you speak of? I am also going to add some better pics of the shed.

Another shed question-image-152151836.jpg

Another shed question-image-2846071538.jpg

Another shed question-image-274312141.jpg

Why did the pictures get greeted out like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Another shed question-image-2506880367.jpg   Another shed question-image-2355314696.jpg  

Last edited by nikeman; 03-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Another shed question

That ain't safe. A good bump on the side will topple that whole thing over. I'd hold onto your money and maybe talk to a lawyer.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

Another shed question

He's going to fix the 2 places where he used the 2x4s. I bought some blocks just for that today. I checked everything out really good today and everything else looks great to me. I took a 36" level all over the floor and windows and just everywhere and it's all spot on level. Once he fixes those spots I think all will be good. Am I missing something?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Another shed question

Was there footing pored under those blocks?
Where the blocks mortered in place?
On the low sides of the grade those should have been a double row of blocks, sitting on pored footings all morted together to keep it from tipping.
All the blocks should have been in placed with footings under them and built up so they were all level with each other before the decking went on.
That low grade side should have been solid blocks not hollow.
It's one thing to have a nice level site to build on, then you could get away with just setting the blocks on some crushed stone, but when you have to stack blocks that high somethings got to be done to keep them from tipping.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...yard-shed.aspx

Last edited by joecaption; 03-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Another shed question

The low side is doubled up on bricks. Atleast on the middle and back corner, one is just buried a little so you can't see them. They are not mortared but I am going to anchor the shed to the ground. There are no footings poured which is why I'm going to wait a while to anchor it so it can settle. The ground is soft on top but solid a couple inches down and since it is on such an unlevel area water is a non issue since I have never seen any standing water in my back yard even after a hurricane and a tornado passed through the area.

Edit. The low side blocks are solid blocks. There are only a couple hollows being used

Last edited by nikeman; 03-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Another shed question

If there aren't proper footings under those blocks, those columns will settle and the whole thing will eventually fall over. I don't know how much you need to worry about frost heaves in Va., but just rain erosion down that slope would be enough to do it. You need some sort of cross-bracing as well for columns that high. If they are just stacked blocks they are worse than worthless.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 03-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Another shed question

I hope your saying brick but you really meant blocks. Bricks never should have been used anyplace in the piers on this one.
It would have been best to dig out until you got to that solid compactable soil. To much organic materail under the blocks is going to compress as it rots and cause settling.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #14

Another shed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken
If there aren't proper footings under those blocks, those columns will settle and the whole thing will eventually fall over. I don't know how much you need to worry about frost heaves in Va., but just rain erosion down that slope would be enough to do it. You need some sort of cross-bracing as well for columns that high. If they are just stacked blocks they are worse than worthless.
What would you do to fix what's done if its that bad?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #15

Another shed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
What would you do to fix what's done if its that bad?
It would need to be jacked up to have proper footings poured. You need to have some sort of cross-bracing for those taller columns in order to keep the whole thing from toppling over. A system of pressure-treated beams and columns with crossbracing fastened to the footings would work. Poured concrete columns with rebar might work but I am less familiar with that. As has been said before, if the ground was flat there wouldn't be a problem as the shed couldn't fall over, but built as it is on the side of a hill, it isn't safe.

It's much easier to do beforehand, but it can be done as-is (but it is a PITA, let me tell you). Your shed looks pretty small so maybe it can be moved more easily. I'm fixing structural problems on a 10' by 20' outbuilding with an attic, not fun at all.

I'd try to keep your crew on the hook for this if you can, but I'd have someone else take a look at the work too. If there is no written arrangement, good luck to you.