Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Another shed foundation question

Gearing for a shed project this summer - stick built, less than 200 sqft with storage in the rafters - principally used to house lawn and garden equipment, and as a potting shed. At first I was thinking concrete slab with footer, but from what I keep reading, that maybe an unnecessary expense for my purposes and area, but I want to avoid a wooden floor, so I have really had to research alternate kinds of foundations.

SO now I am thinking about digging a foot deep perimeter trench, compacting the bottom, adding 6" of crushed rock for a base, and building a foundation of pt 6x6es on top of that, with a floor of concrete pavers inside the pt perimeter.
Does that sound like it will give me decent, lasting foundation to build upon?

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Just use wood. Put it on 4x4 skids so it can breath and you will be fine

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #3

I agree- I don't like the idea of using wood for a floor either. It may last, but if you don't need it, its just a waste of time and money. In my case, I am building a woodshed, and in addition to not needing a floor, I would have to build one beefy enough to support thousands of pounds of firewood.

I am considering two options- build the shed like a small pole barn, with pressure treated 6x6 posts (every 6-8 feet is all that's needed), or build a sill plate of Pt 6x6, supported by concrete piers (in sonotubes) every 4-6 feet. In either case, the floor would be gravel, slightly higher than grade. Patio stones would also work.
jbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbs11 For This Useful Post:
Windows (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Windows,

make sure the wood is not normal pressure treated wood, but rated for ground contact. The typical PT wood you'd pick up from the lumber yard or big box store is not rated for contact with the ground. What does this mean? if you use normal PT it won't last as long. Not a big fan of wooden foundations, but can be allowed per the building code.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Windows (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

There is no particular reason to have a wooden floor, as others have noted if you are storing firewood for example crushed stone is fine. However, concrete pavers are subject to frost heave if you live in frost country and do not have adequate crushed stone underneath them. This can be annoying if the pavers become uneven, and you want to drive power equipment in there.

I have a shed in my back yard which is supported on concrete blocks spaced every 8 feet, with wooden sill beams. One side of the shed has a crushed stone base, which I use to store firewood. One side has a wooden floor, been there since 1959, no real problems. This is a poorly constructed shed, yet has stood for more than 50 years needing only occasional roof work. I added a second wood shed onto the original structure, built on concrete blocks at the corners with wood sill beams, gravel floor. Conventional wood framed roof. I believe this addition will be there for another fifty years, no problem. The point is that a deep concrete foundation is unnecessary for non-habitable structures, certainly not worth the money in my opinion. Just be aware that frost heave can move the blocks around, if that is OK, you are good to go.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Windows (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

My father's shed sits on top of 8 inches course (3/4" to 1") stone with no other floor. It can handle a 2" rain without puddling. We built it 30+ years ago and he still uses it. You can actually see it on Bing Maps.

My little shed is built on landscape timbers used as skids to move it around. No foundation so it just rides out the frost heaves.

Last edited by goosebarry; 06-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote