Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another Greenhouse Construction Question

I have just finished removing the forms from my greenhouse extension base so now am anxious to start on the walls which I am thinking will be built of 2x4 but if necessary 2x6 material. Since I have varius sizes of glass to mount on the walls I must space the studs to accomodate the glass. In one configuration, I would have to space the studs about three feet apart because of the width of the glass. By planning this way, the glass which is six feet long would be installed on an eight foot high wall. As you can tell, this does not leave much room for installing a double plate header above the glass and placement of a sill plate on the bottom. If I use 2x6 as material for the header (which will be up against the top plate of the wall) and a 2x4 or 2x6 for the sill and by necessity short cripple studs, would the completed structure be sound? We have some high winds and occasionally deep snow here. The greenhouse will be protected by another building on the north and one on the south.

I hope that this explaination is clear enough, not too confusing. Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated. I value your input.

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Since I have varius sizes of glass to mount on the walls I must space the studs to accomodate the glass
My first thought is for down the road. If you ever have to replace any of the glass, how much trouble/extra expense will it be to have custom sized glass made? I'm thinking that if you keep the framing uniform, future repairs or whatever will be simpler. For instance, if you decided to double pane, etc. Would it be that much trouble or waste to cut the glass to a uniform size?

Just my experience in having to deal with jobs when things are odd-sized, out of square, etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

why must the glass be that low to the ground. why not up about three feet. this way you don't have to worry about the snow. just build it off a short wall of blocks.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #4

Buletbob...Thanks for your reply. What it have described above is one of two options that I have since I have two different sizes of glass. The reason for the glass going that close to the ground is because the glass is six foot long and to permit as much light as possible into the greenhouse. I would not be able to elevate the glass much because the wall is the standard 8 foot. I was mainly concerned about the soundness, strength integrity of the structure by the three foot spacing of the studs.
The other option which I have would permit a three foot kneewall (approx) because the sheets are five foot long. But like I said above, I was trying to build so that maximum amount of light could enter the bldg. Actually I was leaning more towards this second option.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #5

is there going to be a flat ceiling inside. And the 8' wall what is governing that height. could it be 8'-6" tall? then you can install the header on top of the plate.teco the ceiling beams into the face of the header and rest the rafters on top of the header.I don't know what your going to be tying into? BOB
Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #6

buletbob. There will not be a ceiling in the greenhouse only open framing. I will be building the walls in the conventional way, bottom plate, studs and double top plate. The trusses will rest on the double top plate. Once the walls are erected and the trusses nailed to the top plate , I will tie the trusses together with 1x6 lumber. The headers for the glass windows on the walls will be nailed flush to the underside of the double top plate. I want to keep to the eight foot walls.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Flavio,

I have been wanting to build something like you are doing for several years but just haven't gotten it high enough on my list. To qualify myself just a little, I am in the landscaping business and have a commercial 28 x 72 greenhouse. Or at least my employer has; not something I could affort to even maintain. This is a quanset style with plastic sheeting covering. So, I'll share my experience from that perspective.

I have seen a greenhouse extension at a local florist that was built years ago that is about 20' x 30' I guess. It has a block kneewall that is maybe 2 ft high. That is where I got my original idea from.

Regarding having the glass go closer to the ground, my experience is that it is not really necessary. Actually, my plan one of these days is that the kneewall would be insulated to keep ground level cold from coming in. I had a water supply line for a misting system freeze and burst- even in a "heated" greenhouse a couple of years. It was on the ground under the bench and came up at the end of the bench and across the top of the bench for the misting heads. Heat was on about 45*, outside was low teens.

The kneewall area could be used for storage under a bench with materials somewhat out of sight if your greenhouse would be visible to the public. Additionally, I have seen plans for having water (solar) storage under benches that would release stored heat for several hours after dark.

Bob,
In my plans, I would like to build a lean-to style against the south side of my house and incorporate one or both bedroom windows to take advantage of the daytime heating. Any moisture concerns there with the high humidity of a greenhouse, i.e. vapor barrier (I know you usually want vapor to escape, but)?

Flavio, my apologies for intruding on your thread.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
buletbob. There will not be a ceiling in the greenhouse only open framing. I will be building the walls in the conventional way, bottom plate, studs and double top plate. The trusses will rest on the double top plate. Once the walls are erected and the trusses nailed to the top plate , I will tie the trusses together with 1x6 lumber. The headers for the glass windows on the walls will be nailed flush to the underside of the double top plate. I want to keep to the eight foot walls.
OK I went back and read your first post again, and miss understood your question, I thought the glass was 8'. I would think the glass would break before the structure would fall.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #9

downunder.....It has taken me a few years to tackle the greenhouse project. I have had an 8' x 10' Northern Light Greenhouse for over ten years but since my retirement a couple of years ago I have been doing more and more especially with my non-hardy cactus collection which has necessitated MORE ROOM!! It sounds like you have an interesting occupation and I would imagine tha you have seen several different greenhouse configurations. Like you, I like the idea of a kneewall out of block to help with the temps inside the structure and might be sorry later that I did not do it that way. I still might end up with a kneewall of sorts before it is over with
Thanks for your input all the information I can get is appreciated. I hope your greenhouse project can get off the ground before to long.

No problem with the intrusion. Have a great day
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #10

buletbob no problem and thanks for your thoughts.