Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Annexing service closet

I have a one story house with an attached carport. There is an entrance to a service closet with the water heater and the SE cable. Another door enters from the carport to the (very small) laundry room. The house is on a crawl space, but the service closet seems to be on a somewhat lower cement slab. I haven't checked the level between the two, but I think I have at least four inches between the two.

I'd like to knock out the interior wall between the two, shim up the floor on the service closet slab, close in one door and make it all one room. Without any complications, is this a feasbile plan? I can post pictures if needed.

If combining the two rooms is feasible, I'd like to relocate my service panel into this newly expanded room since the SE cable enters from the exterior wall into the closet and runs to a panel at an out of code location. I'd rather have the panel and meter back to back. Does putting a panel in the same room as the water heater present a problem? Long term I'd like to move to a tankless, but need a higher rated panel to do it, and so it goes....

former33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Annexing service closet

photos help

redline is offline   Reply With Quote