Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

Anderson Window profile

Hi guys,

We had Anderson double hung windows installed in the dormers we're doing, and I didn't realize how large the flange or casing trim is on the outside of the window. It must stick out at least an inch, probably 1- 1/4". My question is, how is that normally trimmed off? I really would rather not add a casing molding that would taper off into the window, as I would need a pretty wide window casing. For these dormers I planned (for the cornice overhang size) to use 1x pine boards. If I go any larger than 5/4 I think it would start to distort my set overhang. Do you guys leave the window itself protruding sometimes, or should it always be cased off with something larger (i.e. wider), so the window appears to be mounted within the wall?

I don't doubt the window appearing set back is more attractive, but it might not pay to mess up my overhang.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #2

Anderson Window profile

i see them done both ways..personally i think the casing should be proud of the window frame,but as long as the window dosn't leak,trim it the way you think is best for your circumstance

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote