Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

anderson 200 and 400 windows

can anyone point out the advantages of either. Obviously the 400 cost more. I am looking at switching my 15 year old anderson double hung I believe 200 series because they do not tilt. they just slide up and down. I would like to get tilt in wash and see that you can do 200 or 400 with a tilt in system. also the wood around thecurrent windows in particular the east and west side that get the sun has begun to break down since the old owners of the house did not do anything to the wood left them unstained or unpainted. I am curious if it is worth a few hundred more dollars a window to go with a 400 vs. a 200

hobbyguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #2

You can retrofit new tilt and wash sashes into older Andersen frames. Speak to a knowledgeable Andersen dealer for the limitations.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #3

Ok as I move more into what started as a simple roofing job. which now has become a re-side and most likely a window update/replacement job. If this was not Michigan and I could sell my house I think I might, but since you can't give a house away in Michigan I think I will get to my question. I picked up an Anderson catalog at a local lumber yard today that is a Anderson dealer and found a Narrow line conversion kit in it. I called Anderson and they tell me that I have Narrow line windows from 1992 and these kits are available for my windows. My question is has anyone ever done this? Are they more expensive than just swapping out the whole unit, is it a DIY project anything else about them you know. I really would like to at least get my 2nd story windows into tilt window so we don't have a to climb a ladder to wash them anymore. I am not as concerned about my 1st floor as they can be cleaned easier. I love owing a home. Maybe a big blue tarp over it would be faster cheaper and less headaches until the wind blew
hobbyguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

On Andersen's website there should be detailed instructions for the conversion. I've removed sashes to fix window balances and replace damaged sashes and that is pretty easy. The tilt and wash transition should be just as simple.
Cost wise it might be about the same, but it involves so much less labor. No exterior work, no interior work. Just pop out the sashes and put in new ones with the jambs. I'd do it in a flash before ripping out good frames, molding ,siding etc.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote