Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Homeowner

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Andersen Double Hinged French Door Problem

Has this happened to anyone?

The 3 point lock on an Andersen double hinged french door bought 2 years ago has a problem. When the door is opened from the outside, the lower catch pushes out. This happens after the door handle is released causing the lower catch to push out and protrude from the door. Then, when the door itself is pushed to close, the lower catch being extended about an inch or so, hits the surface of the opposite door and the door is prevented from closing and bounces back open (often unnoticed while the person walks away). The door handle is the very heavy bronzed type and it seems the momentum from the weight of the handle springing back up when released, causes the bottom catch to push out, as though the handle were pulled up which is the normal way the top and bottom catches are extended. How is this adjusted to prevent the spring of the handle's release from pushing the bottom catch out?

Thanks for any help on this. One time the door was left open all night in cold weather because of this.

Tim

tconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconway View Post
Has this happened to anyone?

The 3 point lock on an Andersen double hinged french door bought 2 years ago has a problem. When the door is opened from the outside, the lower catch pushes out. This happens after the door handle is released causing the lower catch to push out and protrude from the door. Then, when the door itself is pushed to close, the lower catch being extended about an inch or so, hits the surface of the opposite door and the door is prevented from closing and bounces back open (often unnoticed while the person walks away). The door handle is the very heavy bronzed type and it seems the momentum from the weight of the handle springing back up when released, causes the bottom catch to push out, as though the handle were pulled up which is the normal way the top and bottom catches are extended. How is this adjusted to prevent the spring of the handle's release from pushing the bottom catch out?

Thanks for any help on this. One time the door was left open all night in cold weather because of this.

Tim
If you were to call the distributor who sold the door, they will gladly give you a whole new three point lock. which is not at all that hard to install. I have had to replace a few of them that were over 4 years old. BOB.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Bulet; Your answer is better than what I was about to say LOL I was gonna say call Andersen
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

In case you do have any trouble contacting the dealer, this is Andersen Corp's customer service number. They are usually very helpfull.

888-888-7020

MarkC
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Hey Guys,
I also have a problem with an Anderson Frenchwood door. The handle drops down and won't stay up. I took the whole thing apart to find that there is a small torsion spring inside the lock mechanism that broke. I called Anderson for a replacement spring...which should be like maybe a buck...and they said I have to purchase the entire mechanism for $172.00!! I'm thinking about looking around at hardware stores or even calling a spring company, but does anyone know off hand where I can find one?

Thanks,
Russ
MatadorMkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Hi Russ
How old is the door, I had the same problem and went to my Anderson distributor and told them my problem and They ordered me a new one free of charge, you just need to write down the date of manufacture from the Anderson logo at the corner of the glass. BOB
Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
Hey Guys,
I also have a problem with an Anderson Frenchwood door. The handle drops down and won't stay up. I took the whole thing apart to find that there is a small torsion spring inside the lock mechanism that broke. I called Anderson for a replacement spring...which should be like maybe a buck...and they said I have to purchase the entire mechanism for $172.00!! I'm thinking about looking around at hardware stores or even calling a spring company, but does anyone know off hand where I can find one?

Thanks,
Russ
Russ, you need to go back where you bought the door and tell them-get the glass date and size of your door and glass viewing area- ask to get hold of your andersen rep from the dealer-usually you get 120 days from the purchase date for free service on initial quality- and you have a 10 year warranty on parts- you could call back to 888-888-7020 and speak to tier two and explain your story-you should be able to get new parts at no charge
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #8

Looks like I'll give them another try.

I gave this lady all of my info...
The number on the glass...CIG-2 3-92

I even went as far as to give her the part number on the part where the spring is located which is 7174A-41

She put me on hold several times and still said that I have to purchase the entire mechanism. I even explained to her that the whole set-up is under a cover that is accessable by removing a few short phillips head screws...which kind of leads me to believe that you should be able to replace certain parts under the cover.

Almost makes me wish she pulls into her local garage with a faulty spark plug, and the mechanic tells her that she has to purchase a new engine!

Thanks for the reply,
Russ
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #9

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 16-17 years is beyond any parts warranty for that Anderson part.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like I'll give them another try.

I gave this lady all of my info...
The number on the glass...CIG-2 3-92

I even went as far as to give her the part number on the part where the spring is located which is 7174A-41

She put me on hold several times and still said that I have to purchase the entire mechanism. I even explained to her that the whole set-up is under a cover that is accessable by removing a few short phillips head screws...which kind of leads me to believe that you should be able to replace certain parts under the cover.

Almost makes me wish she pulls into her local garage with a faulty spark plug, and the mechanic tells her that she has to purchase a new engine!

Thanks for the reply,
Russ
Russ, Sorry Buletbob is totally correct 1992 door is out of warranty doesn't matter if it would 've been anyother window MFR- Pella, Marvin, Kolbe Kolbe, Weathershield, Crestline, 10 years on parts and 20 years on glass- Cars do not have warranties that last that long - 10 years Kia - but at least you can still get parts - most would've had to replace the whole door most MFR's would not have parts or would be out of business
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #11

How does a door bought two years ago have a date 17 years ago?
tconway? What's the story?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How does a door bought two years ago have a date 17 years ago?
tconway? What's the story?
Ron
Ron,
I think you're confusing the original poster of this thread with me. My door is from 1992...the OP's door is two years old.

Well, I just got off the phone with a level two person "Mark" at Anderson and he also said that I have to buy the whole assembly. I don't expect the part to be warranted. I just want to purchase the spring that broke! If anyone can put me in touch with someone that might have this spring, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #13

Cross posts confuse me.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
MAS

Quote:
Ron,
I think you're confusing the original poster of this thread with me. My door is from 1992...the OP's door is two years old.

Well, I just got off the phone with a level two person "Mark" at Anderson and he also said that I have to buy the whole assembly. I don't expect the part to be warranted. I just want to purchase the spring that broke! If anyone can put me in touch with someone that might have this spring, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Russ

Russ,

Did you ever solve this problem without having to buy the entire mechanism? I have the same issue with my Frenchwood door and I only need a spring to fix it. I would appreciate any help.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Russ,

Did you ever solve this problem without having to buy the entire mechanism? I have the same issue with my Frenchwood door and I only need a spring to fix it. I would appreciate any help.
No, not really. We brazed the break, but it doesn't seem to have quite the spring that it had before.

There IS a guy on ebay that sells like a 100 spring assortment of nothing but torsion springs. I was thinking about ordering those to take a chance and see if I can make ONE of them work for me.

By the way...Anderson told me that THEY don't even make the mechanism and that it comes from another company. They can't give me the name of the company either.

I also thought about trying other companies that use the same type of "centering" mechanism to try for a spring.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Russ