Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
I love my new front yard!

Rewards Points: 150

Anchoring to a Stucco wall/studs?

I'm mounting a new copper hose to the exterior on my home that has stucco on it & seems I'm having trouble with my stud finder, so this has me wondering if there a good way to anchor my copper pipes for the garden hose to the wall if I cant find studs in it?

Seems pulling on the hose from the front of the house cause this issue I had to repair & so I want to anchor it down to if anyone ever starts pulling on the hose again they wont being pulling directing on the plumbing that runs under the house.

Here is my stud finder by the way, seems to not be calibrating.
Its suppose to be held against the wall & you hold the button till the beeper stops, but the beeper just don't stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring to a Stucco wall/studs?-img_3224.jpg  

Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

Moved to Building and Construction forum.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

That stud finder or any that I have ever used will never find a stud behind stucco.

I feel your pain....been there. Unless you can find a reference that has a known stud...then measure in 16" increments from there....it's going to be hard to find a stud. You would have better luck with the knock test....

I would use nylon anchors...I've had good luck with them....just make sure you use large ones....the other option is a toggle bolt...but then your making a big hole.

One other option...go inside your house to the wall that you want to hang the hose real on....find the stud from there....measure to the window edge...then go outside and find the point....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
I love my new front yard!

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That stud finder or any that I have ever used will never find a stud behind stucco.

I feel your pain....been there. Unless you can find a reference that has a known stud...then measure in 16" increments from there....it's going to be hard to find a stud. You would have better luck with the knock test....

I would use nylon anchors...I've had good luck with them....just make sure you use large ones....the other option is a toggle bolt...but then your making a big hole.

One other option...go inside your house to the wall that you want to hang the hose real on....find the stud from there....measure to the window edge...then go outside and find the point....
I was considering the nylon anchors myself & yet you just got my attention with the window from thing i'm close to the edge of the kitchen window, will there be a stud for sure dropping down from the edge?
I suppose being the house was built in 1929, there's nothing for sure?
I'm thinking nylon anchors.....
How hard is it to drill into stucco & not have it crumble around the holes?
Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

Use a small masonary bit....you don't need a hammer drill....

Since you have a window close...use the stud finder to locate a stud(s) in the kitchen....then pick a point on the window that is even both inside and out....measure to that point...

Repeat outside to find the stud.

Personally...if it was me....your house will most likely have lap and plaster walls...hence, the stud finder will have a hard time finding the center of the stud....I would use a real small drill and drill a few holes to confirm the exact position....once you find the exact center....your good to go.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote