Anchoring Sole Plates To Concrete Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

anchoring sole plates to concrete floor

I want to build a 4' x 7' closet in my basement (house is four years old). Two walls already exist so I need one 4' wall and one 7' wall with door opening. I've done some searching here and have a good idea how to anchor the sole plates to the concrete floor (tapcon or remington fasteners).
Also recommended was to frame the wall first then lift it into position. Do you then fasten the sole plate to the floor? The reason I ask is that for the existing two walls (one on the edge of a staircase) there is no sign of anything fastening the sole plates to the floor. So I guess the sole plates were anchored first then the studs and the ceiling plate were installed.
But everything I read says make the frame first then lift it into position.

Hope you can clear up the confusion.

Thanks

Advertisement

be_leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
knewbie

Rewards Points: 75

Use construction adhesive between the sole plate and slab, you can fasten with tapcons if you like. I would use cut nails.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/1681865

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Framing first, then lifting into position can be tricky with a fixed floor and ceiling. Best way to do it that way is with 2 sole plates. The plate that's attached to the concrete will be pressure treated wood. You can attach them with any method previously mentioned, but they must be attached.
Then build the wall on the floor 1 3/4" shorter so you can lift it onto the secured sole plate.
If you build it on the floor at full height, you will need a heavy hammer to get it into position.
Ron
You need to use fasteners rated for use with the pressure treated wood.

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-05-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added info
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Framing first, then lifting into position can be tricky with a fixed floor and ceiling.
Would you just build the frame in place anchoring one sole plate to the floor and build from there?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

I'll try...Attach your PT sole plate to the floor. Build your wall, 1 3/4" shorter, on the floor. Stand up the wall and set it down on the sole plate. At this point you should have one top plate and two sole plates. Shim at the top (if required) to plumb/level and nail off. Your other alternative would be to attach sole plate, attach top plate and cut your studs to fit the opening between the two.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I did it this way as well ... The benefit is that the wall can just slide in between the floor joists and the bottom plate, and can be lifted without hitting the floor joists (cause its much shorter). In addition, the double sole plates make for a huge advantage when attaching baseboards ... always hitting wood.
whirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #7

Tapcon concrete screws are deemed acceptable for use in treated lumber. Be sure not get a screw that is ioo long. The min embedment is 1" and the maximum in 1 3/4". If you try to drive the screw into the concrete any deeper then the head may break off. There is a lot of tech. information on www.concretescrews.com
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

It helps to have a hammer drill to drill your holes(perhaps someone has one you can borrow?), but a regular drill will work. It wouldn't be worth renting the drill or a powder actuated tool for so few fasteners. Be sure to get the proper bit for the Tapcons. Not all packages include a bit.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #9

The quality of the hole that you drill is critical when using tapcon screws. The size that I would use in you application would be 1/4 x 2 3/4. This size requires a 3/16 bit.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #10

Thanks for all the ideas - I'm going to give it a go.

Advertisement