Anchoring Sill Plate - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Anchoring Sill plate

Need some help . I have a 24x24 pole barn with a 4 inch slab. Going to enclose and add garage doors. I know I need a PT sill plate to which I attach studs 16 on center. Will than use Hardi board etc.

I checked codes and want to do a good and safe job. Not concerned with inspection as this is a DIY. Please no lectures.

Code states anchor should be 7 inches into concrete or equivalent.

I was going to use the Simpson threaded anchors which you hammer into a hole and than thread nut over sill plate and tighten down.

Since slab is only 4 inches do I use a 2 or 3 inch anchor or better to find a toggle type bolt and go through the slab? I am also concerned about possibly cracking the slab as the hole will only be about 2 inches from edge.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,148

Anchoring Sill plate

in that case i would use a 5/8 " threaded rod and two part epoxy, drill out a 5/8" hole into the slab 4" down and have the rod stick out 2 1/2" from the slab

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Anchoring Sill plate

DIY doesn't magically exempt you from needing a permit and inspections. Just know jobs done without them and found to not meet code are quite often required to be torn down. So following code is a good plan.

I'd go with the epoxied rod.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (08-28-2013)