Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |

Anchoring Fence Posts With Metal Post Base?

Hello all,

I am in the process of planning out a simple fence for the front yard. Finding the best and most future proof way to anchor the posts if my current task. The fence will be about 4-feet tall, with 1x6 horizontal slats between the posts.

Option 1: Tried and True. Dig a hole, put the post in it (maybe a little gravel) and pour concrete in the hole.

Question - How deep would this hole need to be? 2-feet seems to be the norm, but that seems really deep for a simple fence. I'm ready to go down that far if I have to though.

Option 2: I was originally thinking of using a metal post base anchored in approx. 1-foot of concrete, and then nailing the post into the base. See attached image for the post base anchor.

The goal was to get the fence post above the ground (slightly) to avoid contact and rot over time. Also, if a post did go south it would be extremely easy to replace!

Question - Is this a viable solution? If so, how deep would the concrete footer need to be? Is this overkill, if Option 1 is just done right?

Thanks for any tips! I appreciate it!

P.S.
I am in Seattle, WA. I've not located the specific codes to any depths, but am still trying.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring Fence Posts With Metal Post Base?-044315202001xl.jpg  

Last edited by Boiler98; 07-08-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Boiler98 is offline   Reply With Quote