Anchoring Block To A Footer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Anchoring block to a footer

I am building a block garage but can't find a good video on how to tie the block to the footer. It looks like you drill bolts into the block, then holes into the footer, then epoxy them? Is this step even needed?

Advertisement

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Most of the time I see the block getting grouted, with a rebar or J bolt embedded in the foundation and grouted into the block. If you failed to install J bolts when you poured the foundation, you can epoxy them in later. I often see every other block getting J bolted, but the requirements will likely vary with local code.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

You can simply embed a 2 x 4 on edge into the middle of your footer when you pour it and this will make a channel into which your mortar filled first course of CMU will key
Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring block to a footer-full-page-photo.jpg  

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Determine where the anchor bolts and vertical rebar stubs(if any) will be. Mark the locations on the footing form or the footing if it is already poured.

Place the anchor bolts and rebar (if any) into the concrete when pouring and recheck the locations before everything is set.

If you need to fill any cores (containing rebar), use masonry grout (8"-11"slump - very wet) to get a better job than using concrete, plus it is code to use grout and not concrete.

If the footing is already poured, drill the locations for inserts and epoxy in place before laying block.

When you lay the first course in a full mortar bed (mortar under both the face shells and webs) and use "face shell"bedding for the remaining courses. The 2x4 "ditch is not needed if there are anchor bolts. Filling the first course solid is not necessary.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

+1 to what Dick said,2x4 channel is usually used only in a poured concrete foundation.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Garnted, no need to completely fill the block. As far as keying, my way seems a hell of a lot easier since you don't have a chance of the anchor bolts or rebar hitting a web in the block, but Im sure there is some reason that its not compliant with some ridiculous code. Rebar would make more sense in a poured wall where there are no block webs to worry about.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Garnted, no need to completely fill the block. As far as keying, my way seems a hell of a lot easier since you don't have a chance of the anchor bolts or rebar hitting a web in the block, but Im sure there is some reason that its not compliant with some ridiculous code. Rebar would make more sense in a poured wall where there are no block webs to worry about.

Rebar must be in all cmu walls,not neccessary in a poured wall.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote