Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

Anchor Seal Leaching on IPE

When I built my IPE deck I put anchor seal on the cut ends being carefull not to get it on the top of boards. regardless I see stains on the top of the boards at alot of the joints where it appears the Anchor Seal Leached in in. Even on joints I don't see Anchor seal stains I see that water is repeled at those places. I was going to sand these down at these places to try and reduce the amount they show. I want to put a sealer on my deck and I expect the sealer won't penetrate well where the anchor seal leached, any suggestions other than sanding?
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Mod

Re-read your old post.

Remember this?
You shouldn’t seal Ipe unless your trying to keep the brown color and preventing it from turning the beautiful rich silver that it will.

In all of your attempts to keep it brown in the end Nature will win.

Google “sealing Ipe” to learn more about why not to do anything to it.

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Re-read your old post.

Remember this?
You shouldn’t seal Ipe unless your trying to keep the brown color and preventing it from turning the beautiful rich silver that it will.

In all of your attempts to keep it brown in the end Nature will win.

Google “sealing Ipe” to learn more about why not to do anything to it.

yeah I do remember my old post and I did a lot of research alot of people do seal their deck, part of my deck is in the sun and I can see it gets a beating from that. Also I would like to help seal it a bit better to prevent stains from everyday use and allow it to clean up. Wether I seal it or not I still have these anchor seal leach and wondering if any experienced that and did anything.

My house has a lot of cedar siding that i have to maintain yearly as well so I don't mind having to take care of the deck
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
dIYHell

I finished sealing my IPE deck and it looks great and I am happy with it. I realize this might be a yearly process but the results are worth it!.

The Anchor Seal Leaching at end cuts really made the deck look bad , I sanded the whole deck before applying seal and the end cuts still looked bad. I applied Messmers UV plus for hardwood and it had no problems adhering over the areas where anchor seal had leached. Now I can only see the bad end joints if I am looking specifically for it. the stain also covered up spots where me or the kids had spilled other items on the deck in the past year.

Below are some pictures you can see how it darkens the IPE which provides a nice color contrast from the Cedar trim and siding.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchor Seal Leaching on IPE-img_0005.jpg   Anchor Seal Leaching on IPE-img_0007.jpg   Anchor Seal Leaching on IPE-img_0008.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #5

do you seal your cedar siding, too? i just finished my ipe deck. i have cedar trim on the deck. i was contemplating whether or not to seal the deck but your pictures convinced me. your deck looks great!
docwoodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoodee View Post
do you seal your cedar siding, too? i just finished my ipe deck. i have cedar trim on the deck. i was contemplating whether or not to seal the deck but your pictures convinced me. your deck looks great!

Yeah I sealed my cedar. You definately want to seal your cedar to keep it looking good. The sealer I used for my IPE said I could use it on Cedar too. however I had sealed other parts of my house with a different oil/sealer from home depot that I was familiar with how it looked and performed so I used that.